Removing a Crossover from an Amp

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Coconuttopdrop, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Coconuttopdrop

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hi guys

I'm trying to MOD a Kustom X11 Bas amp. It has a crossover in it (passive i guess) I would like to take it out and use only the 2 of the 3 power amp sections for the signal (left and right).

There is a dedicated board for the crossover that receives the direct signal from the inputs and also has +12V and -12V connected so i'm not sure if the crossover is passive or if the signal is being preamplified at that stage, or something.

I measured the signal voltage at the input of the cross over and at the output (full gain). At the output the signal was a few mV stronger.

My question is, if i take the direct signal from the input and connect it directly to the amplifier stage, might i be doing something that i shouldn't be doing? Can the +12V and -12V rail be disconnected from that rail without affecting the rest of the amp (these lines are also connected to the power amp section)
    What should i be looking at to have more insight in what i what to do and how to do it?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Look at the schematic of the amplifier. Without that you can do little and we can do nothing.