Remote switching of central heating (internet)

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by Schop, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Schop

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Heya, first time here.

I wish to remotely control a switch through the internet so that I can turn on the house's central heating before arriving. The actual connection to the thermostat is simply a switch so the question is how to control just that through the internet.

I figured a tiny embedded webserver, but it seems to me like an overkill for just a button ;) Any ideas? If not, can anyone recommend an easy to use embedded webserver? My experience with webdesign is zit, zero, nada, so I'd also need to know how to make the link from a webpage-button to a GPIO port on the board toggling or something similar...

I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering & Design so no need to explain the obvious, Tnx!

Schop.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    The XPort.
    They do make IP thermostats and it's a project I've had on and off the self for years.

3. Schop

Nov 3, 2010
    Soweet!

Love the little thing already, would be perfectly suitable. It's just that my wallet doesn't like it too much... Do you happen to know a similar device for under a few tenners?

Really appreciate it, I might just get myself an Xport someday anyway ;)

4. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Not much is uber cheap when it comes to Embedded Ethernet. I'm sure you don't want to leave a PC running all day (cost more in electricity)

My project was based on the 18F67J60 (PIC with Ethernet) some relays, a couple opto inputs, RTCC, RS485 & RS232

5. Tesla176

Nov 3, 2010
    Have a look at IObridge http://www.iobridge.com/ Not cheap either but you can do some pretty amazing stuff for $100 USD

6. Schop

Nov 3, 2010
    It's starting to seem harder / more expensive than I anticipated...

Maybe I should look at other remote control options as well, things like a phone trigger using caller ID or whatever. Any ideas in that direction?

7. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    An old analog modem on a POTs line is an option. You'd still need something to control a relay and allow login. Caller ID not aware of what's out there anymore, seems dialup and land lines are quickly becoming a memory for most folks. You might be able to get some old X10 junk (unreliable) cheap, can't recall if dialup was one of the available options.

I've been targeting my price point for the kit (if I ever finish it) around $150. Basically a self contained embedded web server.

PS you should get a free DYNDNS.ORG name and a router that supports it if you want to connect to a home web server.

8. Schop

Nov 3, 2010
    Well, I guess I'm going to try my hands on this PIC. Should have heard of that way earlier though... I actually had a half-year project at school to design an ICMP/IP chat application from scratch. Running on an ARM processor and using an FPGA to get it up to 10baseT line speed. Could have done that without the FPGA :(

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

9. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    Well I'm working on the same sort of thing. I'd be happy to collaborate with you on this.

10. Schop

Nov 3, 2010
    Great!

I'll post a little update on what's happening then:
    I'm currently kinda bussy with school but I've tried ordering a free sample of the X-Port allthough it's al long shot. Also I'm planning to check out the actual thermostat I'm working with as it's not in my own house. In the worst case scenario I will be simple closing a switch in the existing thermostat using a soldered-on relay an some form of remote trigger. Probably even the good old trick of tapping on a phone's vibrate function ;)

I'd love to hear if you have any ideas!

11. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    How's the X-Port going?

12. Quasimodo

Apr 29, 2011
    You can build a toogle flip flop switch using a cmos like cd4013, 4011 or similar, even a 555. Comand impulse can arrive from a phone's vibrate micromotor or keypad leds. It is the simpliest and the cheapest solution for your aplication.
    Greetings from Romania.
    P.S. Sorry for my poor english.