Remote Frequency

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by michael bailey, Jan 7, 2014.

1. michael bailey

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Transmit wireless signal to battery powered receiver, activating solenoid.
    Solenoid triggers release of bottles filled with compressed air.
    Distance 300 plus yards. clear line of sight.
    Pressing button #1 activates receiver station #1 releasing bottle, one at a time. Release sequence manually cycles through the # of station receivers in the field.
    Receiver stations have multiple pressurized bottles. Once button#1 for station #1 is released, button #2 is pressed releasing bottle #2 etc.
    On completion of the bottle release #1 #2 #3 #4, the transmitter and receiver can repeat the previous action, until all bottles have been released. Button one always triggers station one, button two always triggers station two and so on.
    The stations all have the same number of compressed air bottles.

On completion of the bottle release #1 #2 #3 #4, the transmitter and receiver can repeat the previous action, until all bottles have been released..
    I need four button transmitter to activate four wireless stations loaded with four bottles per station. Electronics in weather proof cases and robust wiring.

"need a wireless transmitter to send 4 channels to 4 seperate receivers - can activate any 4 lines on any receiver"

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Is there a question in there?

Standard hobby RC would easily be up to this task, maybe with a power boost on the receiver end. How much power do your solenoids need?

3. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    michael bailey likes this.
  5. michael bailey

Sep 3, 2013
    hi,
    Know nothing about electronic's, way older than the guy that gets his ideas out of his butt. Need help.
    The first test was a hard wired transmitter used two 9 volt batteries with a 18 volt solenoid.
    The launcher has two pressurized segments. First one contains solenoid and two inputs, one for electric and second for air. Approximately 80 to 100 psi. Second container is the pressurized " bottle " that is launched.
    Time line as follows, transmitter sends electric pulse, to solenoid allowing release of air pressure, that triggers releasing clamps that releases bottle.

mattbullet likes this.
  6. michael bailey

Sep 3, 2013
  7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    So you need to remotely control a 18V power supply to deliver a signal to 4 banks of 4, total 16 individual solenoids. The firing at each bank is sequential.

You still have not answered the question of how much power these solenoids require, but if 2 of those small 9V batteries did the job, we can assume a solenoid probably needs less than 100mA.

You need 4 channels, and a mechanism for advancing through the 4 solenoids in each bank. You don't need 16 channels, but would 16 channels be acceptable, so that you had complete control over each of the 16 solenoids?

Do you have any pictures or schematics of existing wiring? I'm finding it hard to follow your description and I'm struggling to understand what you need.

8. michael bailey

Sep 3, 2013
    The set up would consist of a hand held transmitter with five buttons. An on/off safety switch and four dictate channels 1 through 4.

"You need 4 channels, and a mechanism for advancing through the 4 solenoids in each bank. You don't need 16 channels, but would 16 channels be acceptable, so that you had complete control over each of the 16 solenoids?"

Prefer 4 channels, and a mechanism for advancing through the 4 solenoids in each bank. If for instance the number of bottles were increased to 8 on each rack the system could be extended.
    I am not sophisticated enough to determine the power requirement.

will attempt to send photo's asap and solenoid details.

thx mike

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    OK, so a counter IC such as 4017, one IC for each channel, would be useful for advancing through a series of outputs. Each press of the button would advance the counter to the next. You could have 10 outputs for each 4017 and you can cascade them for large numbers if you ever needed that many.

The 4 channel remote such as inwo linked to sounds like it would be adequate. Maybe even overkill (it can switch up to 10A on each channel), but cheap enough.

The relays it controls would act as the "buttons" to provide clock ticks to advance the counters. The counter outputs would each control the gate of a MOSFET switch, which would send power to your solenoid when triggered.

michael bailey likes this.
  10. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    Look at the website: http://www.electronics-diy.com. They might have what you need. Otherwise, consult the 'google' as most of us do to help newbies find solutions.

11. michael bailey

Sep 3, 2013
    Radiohead,

Thanks for you reply, what's lower than a newbe. I don't even know the question to ask on Goggle.

This form has helped me understand the basics and who to contact to push my project forward.

Regarding the military most of ancestors fought in the Revolution with American Loyalist Regiments, one the "First American Regiment", never lost a battle.
    I am related to members of the Nova Scotia Regiment they won more battle honors than any Canadian Regiment in WW2.

A distant cousin won the Victoria Cross in WW2.

My son has served in Bosnia to Libya, One uncle had his ass blown off in France. Another uncle was a Admiral in the RCN, father was a flight Sgn. WW2. Step father a Wing Commender in WW2 another a Commander in the RCN.
    Thanks again to all for your help. I may be back.
    mike

12. radiohead

May 28, 2009
    Newbie is not a derogatory term. It is a term we use that refers to someone who has limited knowledge but has the willingness to learn more.