Remote dog trainer duck thrower

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Thank you circuit gurus....
I have a contraption that will sling a rubber dog training dummy ( 4 lbs) about 35 yards.
I want to activate a solenoid to push or pull a trigger mechanism to release the dummy into the air.
I can build that mechanical trigger mechanism myself.
I want to activate the trigger solenoid remotely using a garage door opener or some such device..
I want the range to be 300 yards max.
So....the dog is by my side...waiting for the dummy to launch.
I push the button on my hand held transmitter
The solenoid 300 yds. away activates...releasing the dummy into the air.
This entire contraption is for sale for $500.00
I can build the dummy slinger for $20.00 but I'm lost on the remote transmitter and receiver...
Can one of you point me in the right direction.
Maybe I can build one cheaper....I need 3 of them.
D.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
You have the most interesting projects . . .

So, you have the electro-mechanical part handled, you just need a remote capable of triggering your device at ~300 yds?

What is the voltage you need to trigger, e.g., 12VDC, 120VAC, etc.?

Do you need a momentary trigger or a latching? I assume the former, but need to ask to be sure.

How many channels/switches do you need per thrower? One?

You mentioned three throwers, do you want to control all three from the same remote?

I'd suggest a remote module from eBay. Something like this.

Note that wherever you look, pay close attention to the range. 300 yds is roughly 275 meters. The one I linked to claims 300 meters, but being from eBay, there is no guarantee. Also note most ranges are given in the best of conditions, i.e., line-of-sight in open air. On the plus side, being outdoors, this is good for you, so the rated ranges may be reasonably accurate.

You can also look at RF manufacturers such as Linx Technologies who produce both RF chips and finished products. They will be more expensive, but more reliable and accurate in their descriptions.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
What kind of dogs are you trying to train ???? I train black labs for Duck Hunting....
I would use a dummy shooter that uses blank loads and that way you can keep using it and not have to worry about having to reload it each time or have someone else there helping...Also if you have someone there then you can save money and just have them throw it for you ...I use about a 1' of rope to help launch the dummy's by hand ...Also when you use blank loads it help break the dog of being gun shy and jerking when the dummy is launched..

Here is what I am talking about ...
Lucky Launcher 2 Dummy Launcher Set

Check these out
http://www.gundogsupply.com/thunder-500-launcher.html

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dt-systems-super-pro-remote-dummy-launchers.html

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Thank you Dr. Killjoy...
Labradors....
Yes, I'm familiar with those launchers...but for a country boy like me they are quite expensive....great launchers, though....
Then there's the project...it's all about the project.
thanks for the advice.
D.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Elec Mech...
Nice to hear from you again...
Yep...I can come up with some doozies....
1.) I dont have the trigger mechanism actually built but I figure I can come up with something...
2.) 12VDC solenoid
3.) I bet momentary would be easier....I can live with that...when I push the button on the transmitter...the sol. pulls back and the trigger is free..and the device slings the duck into the air.....via surgical tubing...like a sling shot....
4.)hmmmm....my wish list would be to have 3 buttons on the transmitter ....one for each "slinger" ........they will all be loaded and ready to fire....
I push the #1 button...the duck slings out...
I send the dog out to get #1....he comes back with the duck....I fire #2...he goes out and gets that duck....brings it back....then #3....etc...
I'll check your links on ebay......and get back to the forum...
We'll talk again...
If you have any thoughts on the trigger...let me know...
Many thanks....!
D.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A simple decoder could be used with a single channel X mitter, A short pulse followed by a gap would fire # 1, 2 pulses with short space between, gap at end, fires # 2. There would be a short delay in launch of gap length, say 2 sec. That's a long range, about 1/2 mile.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Thanks everyone....
It might be easier to put a 300 ft. string on it and pull a pin ....tripod with surgical tubing....like a remote slingshot....I have to go down there and reload it anyway...
I'll get that working and then come back and we can talk about a remote electrical set up....
Many thanks...
D.