Remote control TV timer

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
My TV died, and the one feature that I can't live without, none of the new TV's have. So I thought maybe someone could tell me how to build a replacement for it. The feature I'm missing is the wake or alarm feature. I thought that maybe there was a fairly easy way to capture or duplicate the signal from the power button on my remote, and then using a clock of some sort, set a desired time and at that time every day the power signal would turn my tv on. Sound simple enough??

If there is already such a device available, I would just purchase one, but I can't seem to locate anything like this. Or if anyone knows of a 19" TV that has this feature then let me know, cause I can't find one.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks to modern technology, there seems to be no easy way. Even if you buy a new TV with no remote control and a $10 hardware store timer, it will probably require someone to push a button to get it to start.

What we need is a programable pointer finger.

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
I guess I could buy a universal remote control and then hack the power button and hook it into a timer. I thought maybe the electronics guys around here would know how to build something like this. I know Radio Shack sells IR emitters. I'm not sure how you find out what the signal needs to be, nor how to build the circuit to replicate it.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I assume the "modern technology" is the "always on" parts of the TV so you can't just put a relay in series the the line cord.

Any ole "universal remote" is going to have the proper IR signal output to turn the set on to the last channel and volume you had it. Your whole system is then an alarm clock that can control a switch and a hacked remote control.

Hack the remote first as they are cheap enough if you kill the damn thing you can toss it while lamenting "the good old days."

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
Any ideas on how to build such a thing? This is "All About Circuits" after all.

Why do they have to take these useful features out of the new stuff? I'm sure it's as simple as a few lines of programming and another item on a menu. Would basically be a reverse sleep timer. How many people actually use that feature anyway?

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
praondevou, very cool, how did you ever locate such a thing? That is exactly what I was thinking about. Yeah, the TV is a little pricey. I think I'll be getting one of those alarm things. Thanks.

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
Well, I googled for about 20 minutes and it appears that nobody has these in stock. What'd you go and get my hopes up for? :) If you can find one in stock somewhere, let me know and I'll buy it.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of stupid too. I talked to one of the TV companies and the guy said they were taking things out of them all the time to try and simplify the menus.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
pretty easy to make one with an arduino or other simple microprocessor platform and a few extra parts (real time clock chip and IR emitter)

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Why do they have to take these useful features out of the new stuff? I'm sure it's as simple as a few lines of programming and another item on a menu. Would basically be a reverse sleep timer. How many people actually use that feature anyway?
I think to save energy may be,normally the function needs the TV in a stand by mode which need a bit(small amount) of power(think about when a TV set is never switched off).Modern SMPS are smart but not that much.

djreiswig

Joined Aug 8, 2008
mcgyvr, what do you think the components would cost to do this? If I had a parts list, and a schematic I could probably put it together. Care to give it a shot?

debjit625, I suppose you are probably right. Pretty soon they will only work for a couple hours every day, and then turn themselves off to save power.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
A CMOS-based clock would not add much current requirement to the standby power. However, to be really decent, it would need to have backup power in order to keep time if the power is lost.

The TV remote control clock is an interesting idea, but one shortcoming would be lack of feedback from the television itself. TV remotes generally send the same signal for power on and power off. The TV remote control clock would have no way of detecting if the TV were on or off before it sent the signal, or feedback so that it could determine if the attempt to turn on/off the television was successful.

Gdrumm

Joined Aug 29, 2008
How about buying a "clapper", then use a regular alarm clock nearby.

The Clap-on, Clap-off device is useful for many thiongs, and available at Wal-Mart, CVS, Etc.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
what do you think the components would cost to do this?
Not much,you can go with cheap mcu like from ATMEL or TEXAS.Or with my favorite Microchip's PIC.You dont need any special feature in your mcu just I/O ports and a timer module in it like PIC16F84A.

But its just not way too good, just buy a TV set having timer function in it.

Good luck

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Well, I googled for about 20 minutes and it appears that nobody has these in stock. What'd you go and get my hopes up for? :) If you can find one in stock somewhere, let me know and I'll buy it.
What's your location? Found this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/TV-Wecker-Wake-T...r-/400223426537?pt=Wecker&hash=item5d2f2cd7e9

If the guy doesn't speak english and you need help to contact him, let me know. He sends only to Germany, but maybe this can be negotiated.

Of course it's right what Wookie said, I don't think there will be any feedback from the TV to let the clock know that the TV has turned on / was already on... I don't know if this matters for you.

I also read there are TVs you can turn on via RS232, but I did not investigate this further.