Remote control helicopter

zhson

Joined Mar 18, 2009
I am want to do a remote control helicopter in my school project, but I found some many different website, still didn't found any info for it. can someone help me out here. I need everything DIY, as I have to make even single part by my self.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Helos are pretty much "Plug and Play", buy a radio/receiver set, it comes with servos, then the helo you'd like, motor (electric or gas), assemble, crash. repeat.

There are some good computer simulation programs for RC flying, you should get at least 100 hours on one before tossing $500 into the air, it's not as easy as some make it look.

Were you looking at adding sensors/camera/etc to it, or just build an RC chopper?

zhson

Joined Mar 18, 2009
Helos are pretty much "Plug and Play", buy a radio/receiver set, it comes with servos, then the helo you'd like, motor (electric or gas), assemble, crash. repeat.

There are some good computer simulation programs for RC flying, you should get at least 100 hours on one before tossing $500 into the air, it's not as easy as some make it look.

Were you looking at adding sensors/camera/etc to it, or just build an RC chopper?
I jst want a basic chopper, doesn't need camera or whatsoever. it is my yr 12 project, so i want to make a hard one and get good mark from it.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just building a viable rotor head from scratch will in itself be a huge challenge.

If you're already in your final year, you probably don't have enough time to overcome all of the learning curves necessary for the project.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I need everything DIY, as I have to make even single part by my self.
Are you going to start with a Big Bang?

At some point, you will be buying, not making. What is the real difference between buying a receiver module or a full receiver?

A model construction project is not a helicopter until it flys.

Thus, I agree with the advice already given. You need to define the scope of your project more clearly and pick attainable goals.

Here are some suggestions, assuming your project is to be primarily electronic:

1) Decide on the type of flying model you want. Helicopters are very difficult to fly. There are some relatively stable versions, most of which have twin rotors on top. Modeler magazines will give you some examples. Go to the modeler web site in your country, if there is one. In the USA, the site is the Academy of Model Aeronautics: http://www.modelaircraft.org/

2) Computer simulators are a start, but won't get you flying. You should look up and join a modeler group in your area.

3) Buy the RX/TX link and servos. At the very least, you will need to buy the servos. If you are going to try to make the RX/TX link, then I suggest a very stable aircraft, such as a helium blimp or dirigible with two small electric motors.

4) If you go the stable aircraft route, then making electronics becomes more practical. There are some very simple 27 MHz designs on the market that you could copy and adapt to your needs.

Good luck.

John