Remote control box

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by praondevou, Nov 19, 2013.

1. praondevou

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    Does anybody know if the following imaginary device exists?

A black box connected to my computer (PC, windows), VGA, mouse and keyboard signals go through the box (several connectors). Normally the PC works as you would a PC expect to work. If it doesn't, say you can only get to the BIOS I want to be able to control it remotely via internet. That means the black box also needs internet access.

I can then control keyboard and mouse and visualize VGA on meu computer. This would allow me to even format a HDD or install a new operating system...

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  3. praondevou

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
  4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    There is no "remote" access on that level. It is simply too low.

5. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    you need a remotely controlled robot, then your telepresence will not be obstructed by anything.

6. Setanta

Mar 12, 2012
    What your looking for is called a remote KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) or KVM switch. It's generally found in enterprise systems or datacenters but you can certainly get smaller systems.

It can be built into the servers such as HP's iLo or Dells DRAC. Those are normally accessed over a browser and provided power management and remote console connectivity. I.e you can power on/off/restart a machine remotely and access the console as if you were physically present.

If you don't have a system like that a number of companies provide separate rack mount systems. Those will connect to the mouse, keyboard and video port of each the servers and they share that out over the network.

If you want for a small number of systems or individual PC's just do a search for KVM switchs. It should throw up plenty of options.

Any options that is network enabled can be exposed to the net, though it's debatable if that's a good idea. Also bear in mind that the remote access consoles aren't always the most convenient or flexible. They are generally designed for maintenance work and emergencies.

7. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    so far, sounds like an OS boot from a CD/USB/Network on the PC in question, which would connect to your server, giving you access to do your thing. Haven't a clue how modern machines report POST errors, but I'm doubting a black box could acquire that info.

8. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010