Reliable Circuit/hardware design

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by tahirsengine, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tahirsengine

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I read some where at this forum that the bottom rule for reliable circuit and system design technique is that when one component fails system continuous to work properly.
    My question is: is there any good book on reliable circuit and system design? I really want to know cus I become so confuse that failure of one component often disrupts whole circuit operation. I am familiar with Military books of US but they are not to the point or rather so abstract.
    Everyone is welcome to comment and help.

Tahir Rana
  2. panic mode

Oct 10, 2011
    depends on what you want, for example you can always to 3x circuit and use 2 out of 3 voting. this way even if one channel fails, other two will win.
  3. crutschow

Mar 14, 2008
    Generally it's not feasible to design a single circuit to prevent the failure of one component causing the complete circuit to fail. The best design is just to use very conservative voltage, current, and power ratings of all components (perhaps no more than 50%) to minimize any single component failure. In some cases you may want to add fuses or resistors to minimize the failure of one portion of a circuit propagating to other circuits. That way you can limit the extent of any one failure.

In military/aerospace circuit design, critical circuits, such as power supplies, are simply duplicated for redundancy, and if one fails, the other one is switched in.

If you can't tolerate any momentary outage of the circuit, then you would use some sort of 2 of 3 voting technique, such as panic mode suggested.

Either way it requires significant redundancy of the circuits.