Relay wiring

60rpm

Joined Jul 3, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a Siemens PLC and I'm trying to control a 24VDC conveyor.

However I need to use a relay as the conveyor is too big of a load to be used by a digital output

The only relay that is readily available is no longer in production and following phone calls there is no datasheet available.

There is a wiring schematic on the relay itself included in the thumbnail.

I connected the relay up to the 24V and Common and measured 24V across it but I have no idea where I wire the Live and Neutral of the conveyor.

I tried looking online for help but there only seems to be automotive relay tutorials.

Can anyone give me advice how to wire it, or would I be better off purchasing a newer relay with datasheet etc?

Thanks.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You do not mention the type of AC motor, if 3ph then you should use a 3ph reverser contactor which has electrical and mechanical interlocks built in, I also usually use interlocks in each rung.
If 1ph then you need the connection diagram of the motor to reverse the start winding.
You can get the reversing contactor with 24vdc coil.
L & N is not used as a term if using a DC motor.
Max.

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I think it's for a 24Vdc motor. Where did you get 240V? We still need the motors current rating.
I misread it. However, a 24V motor draws 10X the current that a 240V motor would draw, so my question still stands. A 6A resistive rating on a relay is totally inadequate for all but the tiniest inductive load like a motor...

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You do not mention the type of AC motor, if 3ph then you should use a 3ph reverser contactor which has electrical and mechanical interlocks built in, I also usually use interlocks in each rung.
If 1ph then you need the connection diagram of the motor to reverse the start winding.
You can get the revering contactor with 24vdc coil.
L & N is not used as a term if using a DC motor.
Max.
It is a 24VDC motor as stated in his first post. But why did the TS use the terms line and neutral? A simple misstatement? When the TS supplies the current required by the motor, s/he can clarify this confusion.

60rpm

Joined Jul 3, 2015
Apologies for the confusion.

It is indeed a 24V motor I can see why there was confusion when I used Live and neutral.

Thanks for all the replies guys and for telling me what relay it is.