Relay Transistor connection

Gary94

Joined Sep 24, 2013
Hi guys! I had spend s couple of days trying to connect an npn transistor to a 12V relay. I am quite a newbie at this but I heard it is possible to use an npn transistor to translate a 5v source from a microcontroller to a 12V relay drive signal. If so is there a correct connection for this? I had tried to connect them with my limited knowledge but the relay contactor will not close. Any help is very much appreciated. :)

Links for the pic layout: http://i41.tinypic.com/302309j.jpg

Efron

Joined Oct 10, 2010
To drive a 12V relay you need a 12Vdc power somewhere. the transistor will be there to activate the relay when receiving a 5V input from your microcontroller but cannot translate into 12V from a single 5V power supply.

So, you must split your circuit in two. One low power input circuit (driven by a 0-5V signal from microcontroller as shown in your schematic) and one 12V power circuit to power up the relay when the transistor is ON.

To properly power up the relay, your transistor must reach saturation when ON. For that, you need to know the current needed to power the relay, as well as the beta factor of the transistor to correctly compute R1.

In your schematic, what is the circuit on the right side?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I always like to buy the 5V relay, becuase I can use it at 5V,6V....24V, if the power source is great than 5V, then it just needs a current limited resistor.

Why you want to using a 12V relay?
What voltage that you usually used? (5V,9V,12V?)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For TTL and 5v Micro's I tend to use a Mosfet, depending on the power required, e.g. for up to 200ma you can use a the 'Fetlington' 2N7000.
R1 not needed.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I can never understand the preference for bi-polar in this and TTL applications?
As well as not loading the source, one component is eliminated.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can never understand the preference for bi-polar in this and TTL applications?
As well as not loading the source, one component is eliminated.
Max.
Most beginners have some BJT transistors. They are cheap, easy to find, and don't have static electricity issues.

Gary94

Joined Sep 24, 2013

Hi guys, this is the updated circuit. Does anyone have any idea why is the ammeter U5 having 320.288MA? And is there anything wrong with my circuit? Thanks.