Relay to drive 1500watt load

shan90

Joined Dec 28, 2013
Could somebody help me selecting a 6Vrelay to drive 1500watt load. I mean the ratings for the relay that must be used??
Actually I have designed a thermostat circuit to which I have connected a 1500watt heater. As i switched on the thermostat, and as it switched off the heater first, the heater coil started fluctuating and burned out. The relay I used was simple electronic relay used in low power circuits

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
It could burn out the thermostat heater!

But then that would really be wrong. Using a thermostat with a heat anticipator to switch a 6 amp load.:eek:

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
What is the "heater coil"? Is this part of a fan motor, or a solenoid valve, or .....?
Clearly the relay load is at least partly inductive, so the relay will need to be rated accordingly for switching such a load.
You mention a "simple electronic relay". Is that an SSR?

Ragwire

Joined Dec 9, 2013
Is the 6V coil voltage AC or DC?
You could probably use a garden variety 2 pole contactor for a central air condensing unit as long as the ratings are OK. You would still need something like a 40VA, 24VAC output transformer to generate the contactor coil voltage and a smaller, 6V (AC or DC, as needed) coil relay just rated to switch the 24 VAC to the contactor coil.