Relay resets

moparts

Joined Jun 23, 2008
Hello all,
This is my first post & boy do I know next to nothing.
I have questions regarding relay board kits & reset circuits for limit switches connection.

The first link is to a Kits-R-Us kit # K142, a 12 chnl IR relay board. This kit has no connections for limit switches, to reset the relays while in latched mode. (Gee I have learned stuff from reading). This kit offers only two groups of relays with each group selectable as either momentary or latched. No on-board screw terminals to connect limit switches onto, so I am assuming it is not possible to attach them for reset purposes ?

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/elec/ck1615.htm

This next kit (I believe it's a Kits_R_Us product as well, #K180 v3). It's a RF rmt ctl 4 chnl relay board having both individual relay momentary / latching selection via jumpers & individual reset circuitry on board via screw terminals. Man I wish the 12 chnl IR kit above had these abilities ?

http://www.electronickits.com/remote_control/rf4.htm

Guess my question is; Is it possible to adapt (hack?) the K142 with reset wiring simply to allow it to respond to limit switch triggering on each channel as needed ?

Excuse me for rambling on so, hope I posted this to the correct portion of the forum? :) :confused:

John

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Hi John,
You posted just fine ;) Welcome to the forums :)

Looking at the datasheet for the first device, it has an Atmel microcontroller running who knows what kind of program - basically, it's decoding the input from the remote, but even if you added an interrupt circuit with a limit switch, the Atmel will still have a live voltage on the relay. Seems like it would take a new board layout to give you the freedom to intercept that - or lots of nasty trace-cutting and the like.

I don't see it as impossible, only problematic.

moparts

Joined Jun 23, 2008
Thanks Sgt for the quick rely.

I suspected that would be the answer. Then the K180v3 would be the choice, guess I could use two of them & combine the two remotes...

Kits-R-Us makes a ten relay version, K181. But it lacks the reset feature & and the momentary / latching setup
is a two second hold down of a button (seems like that could accidently be changed too easily). Biggest problem is it's use of a 4-button remote with push button combinations to work all ten relays -- would rather have a ten button remote control. Guess the "rolling code" feature would make finding a full size RF remote impossible.

In case you were wondering, my fantasy project was to provide adjustable pre-set stop points (via the limit swt or photo interrrupters) for a motorized movie screen masking system. Maybe it would just be easier to use something like a microcontroller / motor driver board with a encoder equipted dc motor. There are OEM systems out there, but very expensive !

Thanks ! :)

John