relay project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dthx, May 2, 2013.

1. dthx

Thread Starter Member

May 2, 2013
    Hello Gurus....
    Ive got a project.
    I want to actuate 10 (ten) 12VDC solenoids in random order.....that order being changeable.....AND ...
    I also want to vary the time that each solenoid is actuated AND vary the time in between each solenoid's activation.
    ex.
    Preset the solenoids firing sequence in random order (3,5,6,4,7,8,9,1,2,10).
    push button to start.....
    sol. # 3 energixes and stays energized for .....say.....5 secs.....
    sol #3 de-energizes.....
    ....a preset "in between" time passes....say ....3 sec.
    Then sol #5 energizes for a preset time and so on......
    1.) Is this going to be possible with a mechanical relay system....or do I need to get a microprocessor....which I know nothing about?
    2.) can I set the random order with a thumb switch of some kind....?
    I'm not a Newbie....but I'm not an EE either....

2. dthx

Thread Starter Member

May 2, 2013
    I think Im going to wire a toggle switch to each solenoid and just actuate them manually..waiting a few seconds before manually toggling the next one...
    ....And see if my pneumatics works.....
    That will give me a chance to build my prototype and do a little research on microprocessors....
    Does anyone know a good manufacturer of them in the USA?
    Dthx

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    A good manufacturer of what? solenoids or microprocessors?

dthx likes this.
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Do they still have manufacturers in USA?

5. williamj

Sep 3, 2009
    dthx likes this.
  6. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    If you can using uC that is better, but if you try to using the traditional way, I thought the ways similar as below.

NE555 Astable → CD4017 → 10 sections Rotary switch → Inverter+555 Monostable → 10 Bjts → 10 Relays → 10 solenoids

NE555 Astable → CD4017 → 10 sections Rotary switch → Inverter+555 Monostable → 10 MOSFETs → 10 solenoids

Push Sw → Debounce → CD4017 → 10 sections Rotary switch → Inverter+555 Monostable → 10 Bjts → 10 Relays → 10 solenoid

Push Sw → Debounce → CD4017 → 10 sections Rotary switch → Inverter+555 Monostable → 10 MOSFETs → 10 solenoids

Rotary Switch

Last edited: May 4, 2013
    dthx likes this.
  7. dthx

Thread Starter Member

May 2, 2013
    Thanks for all the replies....!
    I was looking at Scott Wang's reply.....Thank you, Scott.
    I think that I understand what you sent me....and the last option may be what I need.
    This would be very cool to be able to automate this randomly selected sequence of solenoids.
    The solenoids are going to pop up signs for an art display.
    Anyway...I think from Scott's reply I need to find somewhere to buy a few breadboards and chips and such....so that I can come up with a circuit.
    I have someone to help me that knows about logic and flip flops and one shot timers and the like but he worked with that stuff in the 60' s - 70's (he has another carrer now) and probably is not familiar with what is on the market today.
    He drew my a simple logic circuit after we talked and he also showd a thumbwheel switch...
    One thing, though....I want to vary the on and the off time.
    Will it be possible to connect 2 pots (one to vary on time and one to vary off time to this circuit board?
    AND....where is a good online store for this stuff....somewhere that would have someone that I could call and talk to them about it.....
    Maybe there is an electronics club near me........I live in a very rural area....prob. not.
    Or maybe one of the colleges in my state has some EE students that would sit down with me over coffee and help me buy what I need.
    The more I think about it ...the more fun it sounds like this project is going to be.
    Any suggestions on any of this....
    Thanks
    Darryl

8. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Why do you want that function?
    If you are talking about the ne555 monstable, ne555 monstable only need the trigger and the output time, the trigger is unnecessary to do the adjustment, only the outpout time needed, because the monostable doesn't like the astable, you can check the circuit as below.

555/556 Astable.
    555/556 Monostable.
    If you don't need the manual reset function, then you just connecting the pin4 to Vs(Pin 8).