Relay problem

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gimp, Aug 31, 2010.

1. gimp

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I am trying to use a 24VDC signal from a plc to fire a relay. Upon firing this relay I want 110 VAC to fire another relay. Can someone draw up a quick sketch on how to make this happen? Everything works fine except I'm only getting 55VAC to my other relay which is not enough to trigger it. I would really appreciate any help. I'm obviously missing something very simple and silly.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    #1-the fact that you asked this question tells me you have no business messing with "mains" voltage levels like 110VAC which can easily hurt/kill,etc.. you. I suggest you hire an electrician before attempting this..

Now having said that here (see attached).. Sorry all I had was symbols for DPDT relays so ignore the other pole. And don't kill yourself.
    Also since you have improper knowledge about this and have not provided the part numbers for the relays you are using nor what you intend to do with them nor why you feel you must use one relay to trigger another versus just using the contacts from the first relay turn on your mystery device I take no responsibility for the improper use of this diagram I have posted.

3. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Exactly. Why not just use one relay with the proper coil voltage and contact volts/amps ratings?

Can you provide a circuit diagram of what you've built so far?

4. gimp

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 3, 2010
    I appreciate being called an idiot by someone that does not know me. I also find it humorous that you guys tell me i'm doing it incorrectly without seeing what I'm even doing. That being said, I wired the stuff exactly the way you just drew up which is why i'm a little stumped on why it doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2010
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I might suggest that you post the relays and the connections you have made. It is odd to use two relays where one should do the job, unless there is some condition you have not mentioned.

I do not see where anyone has attacked you. The cautions seem entirely proper, as the voltages are dangerous and your comments indicate you are not experienced in this area.

6. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    If you hooked it up properly and used the correct components it would have worked.

Yes please post the part numbers of the relays you are using along with the information about the load you are trying to control. and why you think you need 2 relays instead of just using the contact side of the 24V relay to switch your load.