relay powered ignition coil driver

lokeycmos

Joined Apr 3, 2009
just for fun im making a ignition coil driver using an oscillating relay. i have several 12 and 24 volt relays salvaged from various appliances and they only have 1 pair of NO contacts. can someone tell me if there is a way to use these for this pupose? all the circuits ive came across use NC contacts that open when the coil is energized and thus the oscilation starts. TY

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
No. Wont work. These relays are most likely rated to 120v or 240v LOAD and 12v or 24v coils. You ignition coil is probably around 10,000v. It will jump the relay contacts no problem.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Normally opened means, there is nothing getting through until power is applied to the relay coil.

So at an de-energized state, nothing is happening. As soon as you put 12v on the relay coil, the load contacts close, completing the circuit.

So you need only to invert the signal going to the relay.

I would be easier to order a few dollar NC relay.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You could use a 555 timer with a couple of caps, a few resistors, a pot, transistor and a couple diodes to switch the relay coil on and off. However, just buying an automotive SPDT relay would be cheaper and easier.

To get a really strong spark, you'll need two 0.22uF caps, one on the coil's primary + and another on the primary - terminal, both connected to ground. Switch the coil's negative terminal with the relay contacts. Use automotive ignition caps, frequently referred to as "condensers". If they ask you what you have, pick any American muscle car from the 60's and tell them that.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
I don't know the specs of the coil on your relay but for about $1.50 you can make a 555 oscillator to drive the relay (if its compatible). Then have the contacts drive the ignition coil.