Relay or transistor for Motorcycle (on/off)

jjmaia

Joined Jun 15, 2010
Oh... But that matchbox its to expensive... :D

Well, i gotta get the bike to Honda, because it shouldn't have 7v at the light output, but 12v (at least...)

That one seems perfect, no?

Last edited:

jjmaia

Joined Jun 15, 2010
Some time and experiences later, i thought it was solved.
The bike have indeed a 7V system, and when i give gas it drops (but i believe the current is higher), so i have used a 6v relay.

Tested it and worked perfectly, but when i gave it a ride, the problem persisted, the light would go flickering. So i tough using voltage regulator (l7806 cv).

I've turned the bike on, the xenon light up, but it went off immediately (the xenon is still working, it was the VR that died), but why did it died?

The only thing it was feeding was the relay coil.

Thanks for the help.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
The voltage regulator probably died because of two reasons:

• The back-EMF from the relay was not handled (solve this with a diode.)
  • The voltage from the ignition had high voltage spikes on it (which is common in automotive environments.) You could try a 78HV06 regulator, but a better solution would be some kind of transistor to drive the relay.

jjmaia

Joined Jun 15, 2010
Hi there,
After some research the problem persists. I've cheeked a lot of bikes similar to mine and all have the same problem. They have a very unstable current.

Any form of solving this?

Thank you.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Nope not really, unless anyone else can think of something, but it's hard to find relays that will energize bellow three volts and any that do will become small suns if fed 14 volts =), you'd have to find a relay that works at the lowest voltage present and regulate the power going to it.

The reason the voltage drops so low on a bike is because when it's at idle there is almost no current coming from the alternator it's mostly coming from the battery and the lights/whatever else that is drawing current from the battery is going to pull the voltage down.

A separate battery for the relay system might work but you'd have to use a diode or mosfet to isolate the two batteries. Simply a bigger battery might work but if you don't have the space for it on the bike it's not gonna do you any good, and even then just a larger battery might not be sufficient.