Relay Logic Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdkru

Joined Jan 27, 2014
Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me on this. I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out.

Quick background: I am installing aftermarket heated seats in my car and attempting to use the stock switches.

The stock switch is momentary and has two position. Hi and Low.
The aftermarket switch is constant (alternating) and has three positions, Hi, Off, Low.

I believe that two SPST Latching Relay (one for the high and one for the low) should be able to be wired in following the stock switch and allow for an effective replacement to the aftermarket switch.

However, this will only work as long as you remember to disengage the Low position prior to engaging the Hi position.

It seems that I should be able to wire in some sort of logic into this whereby.
Hi and Low can be off
Hi can be on but Low must be off
Low can be on but Hi must be off
Low and Hi can never be on at the same time.

Can anyone offer any help as to how to achieve this.

Thanks again for any help you can provide

Attachments

Is this a automotive modifications question or do your switches just happen to be from a car ?

If the former, such discussions are not allowed here due to safety concerns.

jdkru

Joined Jan 27, 2014
Hmmm, not sure how I should answer this. These electronics will go in a car, however, are completely independent from the function of the car, so no liability or safety concerns should exist. Additionally no stock systems with in the car have or will be modified. If I need to restate my question to help in this discussion so that it remains purely intellectual I can.

I have a three position switch Hi/Off/Low that I want to replace with a momentary switch that will send a "pulse" for high and a pulse for low. I think that this can be done with latching relays, but I am stumbling on the logic surrounding how to ensure that hi and low are not accidentally on at the same time.

I hope this helps move this discussion along.

Last edited:
It still falls under the TOS "Automotive Modifications"

This forum has zero tolerance on this topic as the author has opted not to discuss this subject due to safety and liability concerns.

jdkru

Joined Jan 27, 2014
Ok, I can respect the rules of this forum.

Can you offer advise on how to solve this problem. Should I rephrase and repost this question in such away to eliminate liability. I really need help with this logic problem. I know that once I figure that put I can source parts and requirements from there.
Is there another forum that you are aware of that might be able to help me.

If this was about a "blender" switch, that I wanted to swap out would that be easier. :)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
I've never heard of a forum being held liable for stupid things people do. This is one of those rules that I never really understood. Besides, even if it WAS an issue, which I'm sure it's not, you can always force people to agree to certain terms or something when they create an account in the first place.

Austin Clark

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Also, yes, there's a way to re-word this. Simply make a new thread specifying the logic problem on it's own. Don't mention car seats or anything in particular. Be general. Just say "heater" for example.
That's what many people do I suspect, and nobody is ever the wiser.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The owners of All About Circuits have elected not to allow discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:
• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
Automotive modifications
• Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
• LEDs to mains
• Phone jammers
• Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
• Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Please do not bother to reword the question. It will not fly under the radar.

Here is a site that may provide you with some assistance: Electro Tech Online

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.