Relay isn't NC nor NO

nikolasj5

Joined Jul 2, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have two relays controlling two independent parts of the circuit. And both coils are in parallel with a 5V generator (sufficient for this relay).

But what i can't understand is that one relay switch from NC to NO and works fine while the other isn't neither in NC nor in NO! I've tested them and they are ok, the problem happens when they connected together.

Is it something common to happen? Where should i start looking for a solution?

Thank you :) !

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
What are the current requirements for the relays and what is the available current from your supply? Are there limiting resistors in series with the relays?
If you post a diagram of your circuit, it might help.

nikolasj5

Joined Jul 2, 2013
Hum! Thanks!

Made a test here with some resistor in parallel so they consume current. When it got in a current lower than the specs both relays just didn't change status. Both stayed in NC. Does it make any sense?

SSR

Joined Aug 6, 2011
Hi everyone,

But what i can't understand is that one relay switch from NC to NO and works fine while the other isn't neither in NC nor in NO! I've tested them and they are ok, the problem happens when they connected together.

Thank you :) !
Seems like the current falls short to drive both the relays.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I've bought it in a local store and the only datasheet i've found was this one(horrible!):
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/114955/ETC1/JQC-3F.html

My supply is a Arduino Mega 2560 wich has a limitation of 200 mA in VCC pin.

I'll do a schematic here (don't have one yet, sorry...) but the VCC is connected only with the relays. the GND have connections with other IC but their supplies aren't the same VCC.
That's the maximum amount that the Arduino as a whole can/will/should draw. It is NOT the maximum current that cen be supplied by an output pin. Based on some of the other Arduino threads, that seems to be something in the 50mA range.

I suspect that what is happening is that your two relay coils have sufficiently different resistance such that one of them gets enough current to pull-in but the other doesn't when the Arduino ouptut voltage falls to a point that the current draw equilibrates. At 70Ω each coil is nominally wanting 70mA to operate. It will actually pull-in at something less than that. Similarly, the Arduino will probably actually supply something more than 50mA. But it would not be surprising at all for the output not to be able to drive two coils.

Try using a transistor to buffer the Arduino from the coils. And be sure to put in anti-kickback diodes across the coils.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I wouldn't begin to guess at the problem until I saw a schematic.

While I suspect a language translation issue in this thread a schematic works in any and all languages.

nikolasj5

Joined Jul 2, 2013
Guys, my relay was broken... Because of this one was working properly while the other not.

Thanks a lot for all the replies, i will use a transistor for buffering and a anti-kickback diode as suggested. Thank you very much!