Relay Help

Manlear

Joined Jul 6, 2012
Hello everyone. I have a project I would like to complete for myself rather inexpensively. I require knowledge so that I can do this correctly. What I want is a PIR Motion Sensor at the door to my room to sense when I enter the room. After it senses my infrared heat, it sends a signal to a board which changes the signal from analog to 3V digital. (Resource: http://www.instructables.com/id/PIR-Motion-Sensor-Tutorial/) It then sends that signal to a relay that is connected to a power surge strip, between the 110V AC socket and the power plug on the strip. The strip has my computer connected to it, which will (thank God for amazing Bios settings) automatically turn on when it receives power. And in turn, my monitors will automatically turn on when they receive a signal.

I am rather new to tinkering with electrical components so I am going to need a thorough explanation of all the parts needed and why I need them.

*NOTE* After my power strip is on, and the relay is in a closed position I don't want to have it trip again, therefore turning my computer off when someone walks in the door.

Thank you for your time and help :) It's very much so appreciated!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
So you want your computer and monitor to turn on when you walk in the room? There are light switches that do this, common in business conference rooms and even bathrooms.

One obvious question is, is it really so hard to walk over to the power strip and turn on the switch?

Next question is, how will the computer get turned off? I mean, you'll probably do a manual shutdown without turning off the power strip? How will you get the strip into the "off" state, so that it's ready to turn on again when you walk in?

Manlear

Joined Jul 6, 2012
Is it really that hard to walk to work? Is it really that hard to make your own clothes? Is it really that hard to kill a deer with a knife?

It's not that it's hard or time consuming. It's the fact that I can do it and I would like to know how because it would make my life easier. It's something I'm interested in.

Yes, I would manually turn off the strip until I think of a way to do that automatically also. Please explain to me these light switches and how I could rig one to my power strip.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Please explain to me these light switches...
Sorry, I've never done anything with one except observe that they exist.

Our local Walmart, in an effort to be "green", turns off aisle and display case lighting unless detectors see movement nearby. It's annoying to walk along and have them all light up as you approach.

Hardware stores sell all kinds of motion detectors for security lighting. The sensor and control module can often be separated from the light fixture. IF (and it's a big IF) you can find one rated for the wattage of your computer, you'd be part way there. I say part way because security lights go off after a few minutes and obviously you don't want that. Same with the room lighting.

All these devices use IR to detect motion. There are DIY kits for building this type of detector. Maybe someone here has had experience in this area.