RELAY CONTACTS VAC and VDC Explanation Please

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Max: What I THINK I see is a bride rectifier with a capacitor stuck on top of it. However, I see what appears to be only three wires. Maybe a wire is hidden, but it appears to me to be a rectifier filter bodged assembly. Something some expert amateur may have constructed. I've been known to do such things in the past.

It appears to be a bridge because of the square foot print. What you see as a label I see as the relief cuts in the top of an electrolytic capacitor. And I think I am able to detect the slightest indication of which lead is negative.

Again, however, I'm only able to see three wires. So it's VERY possible I'm wrong. Or missing something.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What you see as a label I see as the relief cuts in the top of an electrolytic capacitor.
I am referring to what is apparently some pink coloured tape with a legend written on it above the device as if a schematic identifier for e.g.
Many of the other contactors and some devices seem to be labeled with similar tape.
Max.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Re Post #60. Max, thanks for helping me clear my head. Of course a solenoid not fully pulled in will pull a lot of current since it essentially just an air core coil and has minimum inductance. I've been out of replacing those things too long.... I retired in 1996.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
@BillB3857 On an allied note, that quite possibly happened here.
Back in the 80's I was commissioned to convert a large assembly line facility from relay logic, huge panels full of control relays, to PLC in an attempt to reduce the line down-time.
After checking out the stores spares, it revealed a large inventory of 120vac hyd. solenoid coils, indicating that hydraulic valve failure was one main cause.
This also was aggravated when service personnel would physically push a solenoid armature over manually while the opposite coil was energized, instantly burning the coil out.
Coming from a European background, I was used to seeing more systems using 24vdc control rather than 120vac, this included solenoids.
Solenoid failure was very rare there.
I decided to implement 24vdc control and obtain suitable 24vdc solenoid and found they were special order, there seemed to be a reluctance to go against the customary 'Norm'.
After completion, periodic follow up showed next to nil failure of DC solenoid coils.
Things have changed now in N.A. and there is more acceptance of 24vdc control.
Max.

Last edited:

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
This is one of those threads that scare the crap out of me..
Sounds like the OP should NOT be around anything electrical..
They don't seem to have the knowledge to troubleshoot anything properly and seem to be doing so in a fairly dangerous manner/environment..
This is one of those times that they should simply excuse themselves from the task at hand.. Its not a job for them..

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
And in the process, document it
Agree 100%.
Another problem I see here where this machine appears to be of some consequence according to the size and apparent replacement cost, if the PLC caves and a back-up ladder is not on file, the machine reverts to junk, if the OEM cannot supply support and a PLC ladder, then it will be worth the 1/2 days pay for a tech to come in and download the ladder, it takes all of 1/2hr tops.
It is amazing how many people buy CNC machines via an auction etc. and do not have, or download the memory/parameter backups, as soon as the back up battery goes they those everything, and the machine reverts to a chunk of Iron!:eek:
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Agree 100%.
Another problem I see here where this machine appears to be of some consequence according to the size and apparent replacement cost, if the PLC caves and a back-up ladder is not on file, the machine reverts to junk, if the OEM cannot supply support and a PLC ladder, then it will be worth the 1/2 days pay for a tech to come in and download the ladder, it takes all of 1/2hr tops.
It is amazing how many people buy CNC machines via an auction etc. and do not have, or download the memory/parameter backups, as soon as the back up battery goes they those everything, and the machine reverts to a chunk of Iron!:eek:
Max.
Most of the machines I build have no PLC's in them, but are rather controlled by a PC interfaced with a few circuits of my own making, since most of the time the machines are being controlled by simple, discrete inputs and outputs. A PC is extremely easy to back up, and does not require specialized knowledge to do so. And the interface cards are mostly comprised of inexpensive, easy to find chips and components.... And yes, they're always thoroughly documented .. :D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
And most CNC M/C's have a RS232 port and any simple Modem program can be used to upload/download parameters by an operator with a laptop etc, but many do not even think of doing this or are unaware until the day comes, In one popular CNC forum, there is usually at least one a month with this predicament.
Max.