Relay best to use ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by darkninja462, Jan 16, 2012.

1. darkninja462

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 16, 2012
    I am completely new to this, been about 6 years since I last had ago at Electronics work. But i am trying to get back into it.

My project is to use the HDD LED activity output to trigger a chasing LED circuit. so I belive that the HDD LED runs on 3.3v ? and would be looking to use a 12v Chasing LED circuit, I thought about a relay, but it has been such a long time, I think I can remember that there not good with constant on/off functions ?

Regards
    -Ninja

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Right you are. Don't use a relay. It is too slow and will wear out pretty quickly.

3. darkninja462

Jan 16, 2012
    I thought so but what would you suggest for this sort of thing ?

-Ninja

4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Well, you can learn a lot about basic electronics here. But why do you want to fool around with the HDD LED? There many other fun things you can do. Like a little robot thingy that drives the cat crazy.

5. darkninja462

Jan 16, 2012
    I am in the process of making my computer case from scratch and rather than having the standard 1 HDD activity LED, i would like to have something that looks like the knight rider car led chasing lights :)

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Hah. Now you're talking. Then you should build this flashing light thingy:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=58102

Complete with full construction details. (Just kidding) :)

Just note that that is the kind of help you will get on this forum. Tons of over enthusiastic electro experts just itching to get their hands dirty.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Really mrChips? the epic data arm thread? I suspect Bill_Marsden will be along shortly and post his LED project, which is what you are looking for. Or just search through his posts; it comes up a lot.