Relay becomes hot

natiz

Joined Mar 16, 2010
Hi,

I have used four 12VDC relays (each has diode on them) where I am using 12VDC with 1Amp current from a transformer. Problem is after 30 minutes of working, transformer and all relays becomes too hot that its hard to hold my finger on them. why its so ? Please guide me as i want them under normal temperature throughout days till they run.
Even I used 9Volts with 1 Amp , but still they become hot. and when I use 12V with 500ma even then scenerio is same.... is there any resistance i need ? or any other thing???

Please help me out...

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Well he says he is using 12vDC relays. It sounds like you are not limiting enough current to the relays. If your relays are not recommended or rated for continuous use, there may be a problem. Also, Are you SURE of your transformers output?

Measure the output of the transformer, and for gods sakes, be careful.

Rifaa, you may be correct. The relays may be rated for 12v on the load side. and have a lesser rated coil

natiz

Joined Mar 16, 2010
no Relays are of 12VDC on coil side and 220V AC for switch side as written on them. but there is no specification of amperes on it. So I dont know what amperes should i give them.
Tell me what should i use to make a 9VDC 1amp current to 7.5VDC 1amp? resistance ? or what ? and of what value ?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Measure the coil resistance on the relay. Icoil =12V/Rcoil.
What is the actual output voltage (measured) of the transformer when the relays are activated. Most wall warts output the stated voltage (12VDC) only when the load current in at or near the maximum stated value (1A). At lighter loads, the voltage is closer to 1.4*12V.

Ken

natiz

Joined Mar 16, 2010
i never know that relays are of two kinds .. one is for continous use and other is for short time usage. is it so?
how can i check what kind of relay im currently using?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
i never know that relays are of two kinds .. one is for continous use and other is for short time usage. is it so?
how can i check what kind of relay im currently using?
Some relays are reated for continuous operation while others are rated for pulsed (short duration) operation. The only way to tell for sure about your relay is to track down the /manufacturer's published specifications for the relay. It will provide all of the operating parameters for the relay.

hgmjr

natiz

Joined Mar 16, 2010
sorry for late replying... actually there is no complicated circuit behind this ... I am just using one adapter 12VDC 1 ampere and connected it with a 12VDC coiled relay with a diode on it .. I have four relays of different kinds but 12VDC coiled , but same prob is all become too hot to touch after few hours.. But when i use 9VDC with 1 amp current on same relays , they become hot gradually and in two days of continous working , they become that hot again. I just wanna confirm , if these relays are on some heat will it be burn out? or its safe to use them in same condition?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The transformer is the likely culprit. It seems like a over voltage problem.

Any chance you are using the wrong taps?

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Just did a bench test on a hunch. I put a 6V "AC" relay on a DC supply. At 6VDC it was drawing 1A and getting warm. I then put it on a AC supply. At 6VAC it was drawing 0.33A(RMS). Any chance your relays are AC instead of DC. Look for a copper ring on the top of the coil core.

Ken

natiz

Joined Mar 16, 2010
no its DC relay ... and 12VDC is written on it and im just giving 9VDC .. also i confirmed and measured voltage with meter.
tel me how much a relay can become hot where we can say its still normal and it will never burn..? and what are symptoms of temperature where it can burn or malfunction?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
If they are plastic-cased relays designed for PCBs, and you have small-gauge wiring connected to them instead of nice, wide PCB traces, that could be your problem.

PCB-mount relays get much of their cooling from the PCB traces. The traces act like a heat sink, carrying the heat away and radiating it into space.

Connecting up insulated wires won't have the same cooling effect, as the insulation on the wires also prevents heat from being radiated. Therefore, there is no place for the heat to go - so it builds up in the relay.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
Post a picture of your circuit. I think your transformer is passing out heat to the relays. You can use a colling fan or heat sinks.