Relaxation Oscillator or Astable Multivibrator?

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
Ron
I think you are correct that standard neon bulbs need additional components - I already mentioned the resistor.

I seem to remember a bimetallic switch controller for one set of xmas lights. When connected to high enough voltage, current flows through the resistor, strip and neon, illuminating the neon. The current heats the strip, which bends the contacts open, forcing disconnect and darkening the neon. Once the strip has cooled the cycle repeats.

Dave, not sure what you mean by traditionally.

The English Universities Press (EUP) electronics bible by
Gavin and Houldin (1959)

has a long chapter entitled "relaxation oscillators and switches"

In this chapter gas diode/triode/pentode oscillators are described along with blocking oscillators, transitrons and many other sorts.

Interestingly a whole section is reserved for multivibrators - definitely classed as a sub section of relaxation oscillators. They refer to 'free running' rather than astable multivibrators. This was once a popular alternative description.

My Dictionary of Electronics
by E C Young
also makes multivibrators a sub section of relaxation oscillators.

However there is an inconsistency in this approach because most definitions require a periodic sudden change in voltage or current (the relaxation) where the voltage/current and timing are essentially uncontrolled.
The very essence of a multivibrator, by contrast, is that we have control of both the charge and discharge timings.

I prefer this latter distinction, although this is not conventional it is at least consistent. As I have mentioned you can make relaxation and multivibrator oscillators with all sorts of components.

Last edited:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave, not sure what you mean by traditionally.
Traditionally as in "ye olden days". Ok, traditionally is a bad word.

The English Universities Press (EUP) electronics bible by
Gavin and Houldin (1959)

has a long chapter entitled "relaxation oscillators and switches"

In this chapter gas diode/triode/pentode oscillators are described along with blocking oscillators, transitrons and many other sorts.

Interestingly a whole section is reserved for multivibrators - definitely classed as a sub section of relaxation oscillators. They refer to 'free running' rather than astable multivibrators. This was once a popular alternative description.

My Dictionary of Electronics
by E C Young
also makes multivibrators a sub section of relaxation oscillators.
Sure, multivibrators are referenced in "traditional" texts, however look at the approach and emphasis of older texts compared to newer texts from authors such as Adel Sedra where the oscillator and multivibrator are dealt independent and equally-weighted emphasis.

There is still an inconsistency on the specific definitions, as you go on to say...

However there is an inconsistency in this approach because most definitions require a periodic sudden change in voltage or current (the relaxation) where the voltage/current and timing are essentially uncontrolled.
The very essence of a multivibrator, by contrast, is that we have control of both the charge and discharge timings.

I prefer this latter distinction, although this is not conventional it is at least consistent. As I have mentioned you can make relaxation and multivibrator oscillators with all sorts of components.
This is exactly what is causing the confusion raised by Bill Marsden in the OP.

Dave