Reinstalling Win XP SP3

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I need to reinstall Windows XP SP3 in this PC to repartition my HD and to eliminate anomalies which seem beyond repair.

Having found the restoring system utility disabled (wonder who/what did it), formating and reinstalling is the way to go.

Prior making my HD flat I will have all data, duly saved in my back up disk.

Since my intention is to end with a properly trimmed version (call it minimalist) with just the necessary functions for my needs I am asking about suggestions around this. How to eliminate the unnecessary?

Sorry for being imprecise. My knowledge is limited on all this. Many unconnected fragments here and there.

Concrete suggestions appreciated!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I've done that on only 2 computers in the past year and a half, so my experience is more anecdotal than authoritative. Modern disks are so big, I just let it install and only opt out of the few things I really don't like, if MS gives you that option. Once everything is up and running, I turn off "updates." Updates are more likely upsets, IMHO.

I run RAID1 and have a logical partition to give me a C-drive for programs, and a D-drive for data that I back up. I may be one of those few people who has a C drive much bigger than the D drive. I don't save movies, recordings, etc.

John

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Have you got the WinXP SP3 install CD?

There is some sort of trimming program to let you create an install disk which do not install those functions and services one don't need.

See Wiki quote below:

nLite and vLite are freeware applications which create customized installation CDs of Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista. nLite lets users customize and remove components from their Windows installation disc, integrate update packages and automate the installation process by entering product key, administrator's password and regional settings beforehand or install third party programs automatically. nLite supports Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 while vLite is made for Windows Vista.

Last edited:

Oclaf

Joined Mar 26, 2011
Generally unless your disk space is severly limited or computer is lacking on the performance side I would tend not to bother trimming windows pre install. Most features that you don't want/need can be removed post installation.
If you are lacking space or system resources look into tinyXP. If you want to do it yourself nlite or vlites probably the best bet.