Regulator Charger, Current Limiter and undervoltage cut out.

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am wanting to try and make my regulator charger a more suitable unit.

The input can go as high as 34 volts and I want a regulated 13.8 Volt 1 Amp output to charge the battery. I have the regulator working ok but want to Add 1 Amp current limiting. Also what I don't understand is if the voltage drops to say 18 Volts will the output on the regulator still be 13.8 Volts?

What Can I do to limit the current to 1Amp. I know the LM317 will cut out if the Amperage exceeds 1.5 Amps. However if the battery is very flat it will try to draw more than 1 Amp.

To protect the battery I would like to add a circuit that will switch out the load at 10.6 volts and only switch it back on when the battery starts to charge again , I have included a fixed 12 Volt 1 Amp output.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I want a regulated 13.8 Volt 1 Amp output to charge the battery.
You have a problem there. If you apply 13.8V to an uncharged battery it will try to draw >1A. To make it draw only 1A you have to reduce the applied voltage.
if the voltage drops to say 18 Volts will the output on the regulator still be 13.8 Volts?
It should be. That's what voltage regulators are for ;).
What can I do to limit the current to 1Amp
Reduce the voltage.
I have included a fixed 12 Volt 1 Amp output.
Is this the load you want to disconnect? If not, when the battery voltage is only 10.6V the regulator output will be less than 10.6V.

Edit: BTW, you're pushing the 1N400x diodes right to their 1A rated limt. Better to use higher-current types.

Last edited:

RodneyB

Joined Apr 28, 2012
You have a problem there. If you apply 13.8V to an uncharged battery it will try to draw >1A. To make it draw only 1A you have to reduce the applied voltage.
It should be. That's what voltage regulators are for ;).
Reduce the voltage.
Is this the load you want to disconnect? If not, when the battery voltage is only 10.6V the regulator output will be less than 10.6V.

Edit: BTW, you're pushing the 1N400x diodes right to their 1A rated limt. Better to use higher-current types.
Thanks for the advice. I will Change the diodes to 2 Amp diodes. Silly oversight on my behalf :eek:

The regulator charges the battery, I want the load to cut out at 10.6 Volts because I believe this is the maximum Depth of Discharge for a 12 Volt battery. Sometimes I run a very basic LED light that just keeps drawing until the battery is down to 2 Volts. Then the battery is totally useless.

If I was to Put a LM317 T on the output of the 13.8 Volt side as a current regulator would that make sure that the current into the battery does not exceed 1 Amp. I have had a battery swell and nearly explode because it didn't control the current

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
On page 18 of the attached data sheet is a schematic of a 1 amp current regulator. Put this circuit in series with the output and the battery. It will prevent the output current from exceeding 1 Amp.

Attachments