Regulate From Capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyCamper

Joined Apr 12, 2013
I have an old motorcycle which will not run unless there is a battery. The battery is a 6 volt 5.5 amp/hour. I read online somewhere you could hook a capacitor in place of the battery.

I tried hooking a big capacitor in place of the battery and it worked great for days. Kicking the kick starter, charges the capacitor and builds enough to fire the coil. Once it's running, it keeps charging the capacitor. One day I have no spark. My coil was not working. I later find out, the battery acts as a voltage regulator.

I don't want a battery in there, because I don't want to maintain it, not to mention I don't want to be stranded somewhere.

So the question is...
I can measure volts much higher on the capacitor. Is there a way to regulate what comes off the capacitor to the coil/points so it only lets 6 volts? Thanks!

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Won't work, since the moderators (of which I am one) are now aware. You really need to take it to one of the other recommended sites.

The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.