Regular Members Fading

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'm active on this forum because I crave intelligent conversation. I was much more active here in the past because I was the smartest person that I had a chance to talk to in real life. But that isn't the case any more. I'm now surrounded by people who make me feel like a mental midget occasionally. Plus I'm a lot busier with work than I used to be. But I still check the forum as time permits. I too have noticed that a lot of the people who were regular poster back in my hay-day come around any more, and that makes me sad.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hey, it's July in Florida and I fix air conditioners.
It's a lucky day when I have an hour to check in at AAC.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I love coming here and enjoy seeing what people are doing and trying to help them with my basic knowledge .... The people around here are the best because people can ask questions and not feel stupid and you guys really care and trying to help...

I'm active on this forum because I crave intelligent conversation. I was much more active here in the past because I was the smartest person that I had a chance to talk to in real life. But that isn't the case any more. I'm now surrounded by people who make me feel like a mental midget occasionally. Plus I'm a lot busier with work than I used to be. But I still check the forum as time permits. I too have noticed that a lot of the people who were regular poster back in my hay-day come around any more, and that makes me sad.
I hear you on that ..... I grew up in redneck town with monster trucks and talking to them about science or electronics is like talking to wall ....

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I grew up in redneck town with monster trucks and talking to them about science or electronics is like talking to wall ....
It's not just Rural Redneck where you can't find many electronics people. I have NEVER met anyone in electronics as a matter of chance. They are where you work, in a local club, or in school. 99% of the population has difficulty putting batteries in a flashlight. Even if you did randomly meet one of the remaining 1%, it's likely he/she won't be in your specialty.

I just assume that electronics isn't a topic of conversation. Even air conditioning/refrigeration/furnaces are a mystery to almost everybody, and most people have a couple of those!

Wanna take it down another notch? I don't know anybody (besides my self) that owns a wood chisel.

Yay, AAC. If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have said the word, "transistor" for about the last 20 years.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
It's not just Rural Redneck where you can't find many electronics people. I have NEVER met anyone in electronics as a matter of chance. They are where you work, in a local club, or in school. 99% of the population has difficulty putting batteries in a flashlight. Even if you did randomly meet one of the remaining 1%, it's likely he/she won't be in your specialty.

I just assume that electronics isn't a topic of conversation. Even air conditioning/refrigeration/furnaces are a mystery to almost everybody, and most people have a couple of those!

Wanna take it down another notch? I don't know anybody (besides my self) that owns a wood chisel.

Yay, AAC. If it wasn't for the internet, I wouldn't have said the word, "transistor" for about the last 20 years.
I've been told that the thing I've been using for a gasket scraper, is in fact a wood chisel...Who knew !!:D

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012

I grew up with a DIY Dad and Grandfather. Learned to, and more importantly, that It was possible to fix/do things myself.

I don't think that's as common these days.

I have my chisels separated for actual old-fashioned wood-working and for utility use. :)

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012

As of yet, I don't know enough about digital, or analog electronics to be of any use on here.....but when it comes to power and hand tools, I'm the Toolguy.
Yes, I have many, many chisels, including old antique Wood Lathe chisels....and about every other kind of Woodworking, and Metalworking tool there is. (I may be exaggerating a bit). Also, absolutely hate working on modern cars.;) The old vehicles were the best.

Just since coming here, I have learned quite a bit, but not yet scratched the surface of modern electronics.
Thank you all for sharing your vast knowledge!:cool:
Now, if you have any tool questions, or processes needed, involving Metal or Wood; just Holler. I may know the answer....:confused::D

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
RADIO Shack is allowed to hold on..since you are talking about tools. I PICKED UP A NEW

DESOLDER TOOL BEFORE RADIO SHACK DISAPPEARS.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
RADIO Shack is allowed to hold on..since you are talking about tools. I PICKED UP A NEW

DESOLDER TOOL BEFORE RADIO SHACK DISAPPEARS.

It's been awhile, but the last RS I went into, had practically went to plug-in, computer peripherals. I found a couple of small transformers on the rack, but it reminded me of a small, big box, store.:confused:

Back in the day, the racks and shelves; were full of one off, small items. I'll hate to see them disappear.

Amazon carries so much more in electronics these days......

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm still here, though I don't post as frequently as I used to. The new job's been busy and I don't have much free time anymore. I still browse the forums daily, I just don't respond much anymore.

Anyway, members will come and go, but the spirit of the forum remains ;)

Regards,
Matt

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Maybe Radio Shack has been selected to stay...like you say as a small box store.

That helps The big box stores from taking over every thing, maybe Dollar stores

and big lots are part of a bigger plan. Thinking outside the box.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

I hear you, but it's not only "electronics talk" that I'm referring to. I spend as much or more time in off-topic as I do anywhere else while I'm here.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I'm still here, though I don't post as frequently as I used to. The new job's been busy and I don't have much free time anymore. I still browse the forums daily, I just don't respond much anymore.
You need the kind of job that gives you plenty of time to browse the forums at work....

I remember sitting in training classes and looking across the room and half the people were surfing the net. The marketing lady next to me was ordering bottles of wine.....