Regenerative Motor Driver Question

EDANN

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Hello
I have question about this product : https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/syren25
This product says it has "regenerative topology means that your batteries get recharged whenever you command your robot to slow down or reverse."
If i have a motor in operation, that is switching on and off (i get regenerative braking energy), and i have a power source and batteries connected to this system (at same time),. How could i control/send the regenerative energy to the batteries, and not discharge them until i want to use them. Any guidance into possible devices to use for this would be great.
Thanks

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Hello
I have question about this product : https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/syren25
This product says it has "regenerative topology means that your batteries get recharged whenever you command your robot to slow down or reverse."
If i have a motor in operation, that is switching on and off (i get regenerative braking energy), and i have a power source and batteries connected to this system (at same time),. How could i control/send the regenerative energy to the batteries, and not discharge them until i want to use them. Any guidance into possible devices to use for this would be great.
Thanks
Is your power supply adjustable? What battery voltage?

EDANN

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Power supply is adjustable, 24V motor, and i have a buck/boost converter between battery and main line. Does this help or make sense, this is just my preliminary plan so far.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Power supply is adjustable, 24V motor, and i have a buck/boost converter between battery and main line. Does this help or make sense, this is just my preliminary plan so far.
Do you want to run the motor off the battery as well as the supply? Or just charge it with the regen?
Maybe a picture would help.

EDANN

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Ya so i want a few operations. I want one operation to just charge the battery with regen, while im using the grid power. The 2nd operation is to use only that charged battery (they will be like 80% initially charged from grid) to run my motor. I thinking i could use diodes and mosfets to get this to work maybe. I attached a picture! Thanks for your replys!

Attachments

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Ya so i want a few operations. I want one operation to just charge the battery with regen, while im using the grid power. The 2nd operation is to use only that charged battery (they will be like 80% initially charged from grid) to run my motor. I thinking i could use diodes and mosfets to get this to work maybe. I attached a picture! Thanks for your replys!
Sorry, 1 more question. Is the battery 12 volts or 24 volts? Is it a lead acid battery?
I think it can be done with a couple of diodes and a FET..
I'll make a picture

EDANN

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Cool drawing! Just a few questions, what is the exact point of 2 pfets, why not just 1? Also where does the top resistor go to, back the the micro's ground?
I plan to use some lithium ion battery with a buck boost converter in front of it.
Thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I plan to use some lithium ion battery with a buck boost converter in front of it.
Just thinking out loud here. Doesn't charging Lithium-ion batteries require more than that? Most power tool chargers have temperature and other sensors built into them to keep them charging safely.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Cool drawing! Just a few questions, what is the exact point of 2 pfets, why not just 1? Also where does the top resistor go to, back the the micro's ground?
Thanks
Sorry, I cut off the resistors voltage. The drain should go to +12 in my drawing. I'm not sure where the buck boost converter goes. Can you add it to your drawing. It may be important.
The second FET (NFET) interfaces the micro to the 2nd FET (PFET) because the micro probably doesn't run on 12 volts.
@shortbus has a good point. You can't just charge LiPo batteries with a power supply. But I think you said you charged it from the wall???

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
@ronv, I may have misread. Thought he wanted to use regen to keep the LiPo topped up.
Hmm, you may be right. I was a little confused by the initial charge to only 80%. Why not just charge it up but not use it till you need it. Why go to all the trouble of using the regen. The problem may be that the regen (depending on the power supply) might just raise the voltage on the power supply until something pops.:(

EDANN

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Ok, a little change of plans with respect your comments. The motor us 24 VDC. If i use 2 a 2.7 V 3000 F ultracapacitors in series, it will be 5.4 V. That theoretically has around 43 000 J, which is enough for my operation i think.
http://www.maxwell.com/images/documents/k2series_ds_10153704.pdf

I have found a 24 V power supply too.
http://www.jameco.com/z/GS220A24-R7...Top-Power-Supply-24-Volt-9-2-Amp_2099286.html

I have found a buck/boost converter, that has a wide range of voltages for my operation.
https://www.amazon.ca/SavvyTec-Nume...8793452&sr=8-10&keywords=buck+boost+converter

I created a rough circuit sketch, which is complicated and is definitely not correct. There are 3 operations i plan so far
1. Is to charge the batteries using only the power supply, my buck/boost converter changes 24 V to 4.32 V, which is 80% of the charge. This is so i have room to charge using regenerative braking energy.

2. This is my off grid operation. I will run my motor of the ultracapacitors, with the power supply 'off'. I convert the full ultracapacitors 5.4 V to 24 V to run my motor.

3. This is normal operation where i am just running my motor of my power supply.

Note.
- I plan to use logic level mosfets controlled by an Arduino Uno, is this possible?
- All the numbers by the mosfets indicate whether they are on for the # operation. Ex if it has a 1 by it, it is on for operation 1. If it has doesn't have a 1 by it, it is off for operation 1.
- I will adjust the buck/boost converter between operations to the right voltage settings ( i think i will need 2 so i dont have to do this?)
- Any idea on what transistors should be p or n channel?
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Last edited:

EDANN

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Is there a way i can find the time it will take to charge them, without knowing the time constant my circuit, cause i don't have one made yet, any ideas?
Also, i found this picture which solves my regen problem i think.
https://www.ez-robot.com/Community/Forum/Thread?threadId=6467&page=2

I have a question about how i could use a lower voltage energy storage, either a battery or a ultracapacitor, and still meet my required voltage of 24 V to run my motor. Any ideas.

Attachments