regarding matched filter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by elisettynarendra, Oct 28, 2010.

1. elisettynarendra

Thread Starter Member

May 17, 2010
    can anyone explain how a matched filter increases S/N (signal to noise ) ratio....i referred wikipedia but the equations given there are difficult for me to understand ..plzz explain in simple language ..

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    An active filter (one that uses semiconductors and resistors) will increase the S/N ratio due to noise generated in the semiconductors and resistors, sort of like the broadband "fffttt" noise you get when water is squirting out of a garden hose nozzle.

A passive LC filter does not add appreciable amounts of noise, as the main components are L (inductive) and C (capacitive). There are some minor parasitic components of R (resistance) inherent in capacitors and inductors, but it is generally quite low.

3. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    The key word here is "matched". I don't have any experience with matched filters, but I understand the concept, if not the math. Googling "matched filters" (I'm sure the OP doesn't want to hear that) brings up lots of complicated explanations.