Refresh Required?

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by BR-549, Aug 13, 2015.

1. BR-549

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    When I scroll down a thread to the bottom of the page, the Users Who Are Viewing This Thread panel is missing.

If I refresh the page, it will appear.

I am using no blocking or adware on this site. Firefox browser.

Does anyone else experience this?

2. tjohnson

Dec 23, 2014
    Yes, I've experienced it for as long as I can remember. It happened even in the old theme, but I didn't think it was a big problem.

3. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Well, for us paranoids it’s a big deal.

We know it was done on purpose. o_O

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I never noticed that! I'm using Chrome and have the same issue. Must be a site "feature", though I have no idea what it's purpose is.

5. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Chrome too. That’s interesting.

How about I.E.

Some one give us an I.E. check.

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Nope but I did notice that when I scrolled to the bottom of the page, it said:
    and after I refreshed, it said:

7. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Was that with I.E.?

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Hmm, now it doesn't seem to be doing it to me at all. I tried Chrome again AND IE and haven't seen it happen since my last post.

9. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    I don’t think many use that panel anymore. It’s just a remnant of a great feature than was abandoned with the software upgrade. It use to be easy to see the number of people on each thread in real time.

Being able to see the site in real time was a great feature. I’m quite sure it encouraged many more views.

When a list of threads was displayed, not only replies and views were shown, but viewing was also shown.

This showed one where the interest was. Live action.

This also led me to threads, where the title seemed null, but it concerned many(what’s the fuss about). Even in areas where one is not of normal interest.

It was the site Barker.

It called attention to, curiosity of, excitement of, and encouraged participation(or at least views) in more threads.

I would think that this would be easy to do. If not already an option.

Alas, I have no knowledge or experience with such things. But I miss that feature.

10. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    From my understanding of how this plugin works - it only shows the 'Users Viewing' block when there are users actively viewing the particular thread. When you click a thread, the page loads, and THEN you are added to the 'viewing' block. So if no one else is viewing it, the block won't show. If you refresh, it shows your name - because you had ALREADY viewed the thread (and not because you ARE viewing the thread).

tjohnson likes this.
  11. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    Ok.....but many times when I refresh to see panel.............other names are there.

12. jrap

Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    I'll assume it's because they are viewing the thread (since you loaded the page).

For example, I just loaded the page and see:

upload_2015-8-13_16-56-44.png

To be fair, I didn't write this add-on, I simply installed it as was requested. If we find it's not working properly I can remove it.

13. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    You are correct. I just retested, and you are there.

Thank you for the explanation.

jrap likes this.