Refilling Ink Jet Cartridges

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
This is an odd topic for this site, so putting it here was Hobson's choice.

I'm thinking of adding some external reservoirs to an HP ink jet cartridge. This may not work, the first thing I have to do is disassemble a old cartridge (which promises to be incredibly messy) to see if it is even feasible.

I've seen something similar for Canon (or was it Epson?) inkjets, which are no longer available, but got me to thinking.

The main logic behind it is a visible indicator when they need ink, I don't need depth. Spending $30 for a cartridge (just the color one, an HP78) does bug me though.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Hobson's choice –noun the choice of taking either that which is offered or nothing; the absence of a real alternative.
[Origin: 1640–50; after Thomas Hobson (1544–1631), of Cambridge, England, who rented horses and gave his customer only one choice, that of the horse nearest the stable door
]
For those not acquainted with the expression, a "Hobson's Choice" is defined above.

hgmjr

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
It is certainly feasible to run supply tubes from external reservoirs. Commercial units are sold which do this. Not what I'd call aesthetic, but it does work.

The only glitch: some printer models count the drops used, and insist the cartridge is empty when the count hits a certain value. One would need to figure a way around this inconvenience if one had such a printer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R General Electronics Chat 6
T Digital Design 27