Reference Waveform, Saved stored reference waveform

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
Oscilloscopes have a function to store/save a reference waveform
When would a technician want to save and store a reference waveform?
I'm guessing it is used to compared it

Also a Reference waveform at a amplitude and frequency can be injected into Ch2 and Ch1 will be probed on a circuits output or stage to measure the phase error/ phase shift

What else have you guys seen that uses a Reference waveform? please list some examples of circuits or tests you have done that uses a Reference waveform

vk6zgo

Joined Jul 21, 2012
Oscilloscopes have a function to store/save a reference waveform
When would a technician want to save and store a reference waveform?
I'm guessing it is used to compared it
You've pretty much got it!
Back in the day,if your service information didn't show waveforms,if you had a working unit of the same kind,you could run them both,& compare waveforms,either probing back & forth,or using two channels
simultaneously.
Of course,that only works that one time,so we would sometimes take photos of the 'scope display of the waveform from the reference unit for later use,or add hand drawn waveforms to the schematic.
When digital 'scopes became available,it was possible to save the signal from the good unit for "reference".
Also a Reference waveform at a amplitude and frequency can be injected into Ch2 and Ch1 will be probed on a circuits output or stage to measure the phase error/ phase shift
This is more of a "real-time " test,with no waveform storage.
What else have you guys seen that uses a Reference waveform? please list some examples of circuits or tests you have done that uses a Reference waveform
They would probably be variations on the above.

watsongrey

Joined Oct 31, 2014
This is more of a "real-time " test,with no waveform storage.

yes true, can you guys think of any Reference waveform/signal to use on an unused oscilloscope channel for a real time test?
The only time i have done this was to use a reference waveform on an unused oscilloscope channel was to test for phase error or phase shift.
Ch1 is the reference waveform
Ch2 is the waveform undertest or comparison waveform

Thanks for you help and time