REDUNDANT and NON-REDUNDANT UPS SYSTEMS

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by b.shahvir, Apr 12, 2009.

1. b.shahvir

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Hi guys, :)

Can someone plz explain to me the difference between a Redundant and a Non-Redundant UPS system ? Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,
    Shahvir

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Not sure of the specific matter regarding UPS.

Presumably a redundant system is one in which more than one backup option exists - as in aircraft navigation systems for instance.

A non-redundant system would be one in which only a single option exists. If that fails then the system has no means of ongoing operation.

With respect to UPS one might envisage a "mission critical" system having several UPS backup options. The critical system is therefore not solely dependent on a single power source or UPS.

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    According the Wikipedia article redundant systems are actually more than one UPS, each one able to take the full load by itself.

4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    I've only seen one Fully Redundant data center (Telco/Internet Central Switch). Outlets are color coded white, orange, and in that case, blue. The redundant dual power system supplies can be split to different battery UPS units, each connected to a different source in the rack. The battery UPS units keep things going until the generators are running and synchronized. 2-4 power supplies/server or switch, 2 UPS per rack, 2 independent power sources per area.

Non-Redundant is by far the most common, being white and usually orange outlets, with white being power company/filtered only, and orange being UPS/Generator backup. Servers with dual power supplies are sometimes run on two separate battery UPS units connected to the orange outlets, so it could be called "somewhat redundant". 2-4 power supplies/server or switch, 2 UPS per rack, 1 independent power source per area.

Oddly, I've seen UPS units fail more often than power supplies, but not the power source. :confused:

5. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Redundant UPS installations (typically 50kw units) was the standard arrangement we used for the control houses used in the refinery I use to work at. They would also supply AC power from two different sub-stations. The AC voltage would then be routed via two seperate 120vac power disturbution panels to control equipment that used redundant DC power supplies. The purpose of course was to prevent any single source power failure from causing the process plants from having to be shut down due to loss of power. Battery sizing was designed to allow at least 60mins of back-up power.

Lefty

6. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    I did be grateful if you guys could guide me to a link or provide some kind of basic literature on these systems.
    Thanx

7. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    APC Guide

That is sales/info level, they have more technical documents as well.

8. b.shahvir

Jan 6, 2009
    Thanx very much :)

9. italo

Nov 20, 2005
    Redundancy is a word used to describe a system whereby a parallel sytem is present to switch over in case the primary system fails. It has nothing to do with UPS or aircrafts it has to do with relaibility of a designed system. same thing applies to BYTE biult in test equipment. So by adding more redundancy makes the system more reliable NO. because if it gets too complex the same multiple redundancy can fail cuasing the ideal primary system redundancy to fail.

10. leftyretro

Nov 25, 2008
    Can you give an example of what you are trying to convey?