rectifier design

prashantbhurat

Joined Dec 12, 2011
kindly suggest the design method to make a 150kv rectifier circuit using diodes of 4kV/5A rating connected to a 50kV 100mA 3phase transformer.
<SNIP>

Last edited by a moderator:

prashantbhurat

Joined Dec 12, 2011
Thnx for the reply....
but the diodes that are generally available are 4kv /0.25A.
So, will not these diodes post a risk of burning out because of low current capacity.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I have worked on several high voltage supplies. The highest voltage was rated for 60KV. They all used conventional diodes stacked in series. Each diode had small capacitor and a resistor in parallel with it. I don't remember the typical values.

to3metalcan

Joined Jul 20, 2014
kindly suggest the design method to make a 150kv rectifier circuit using diodes of 4kV/5A rating connected to a 50kV 100mA 3phase transformer.
Is this related to the Marx Generator (impulse generator) in your other thread?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Interesting. This picture appears right side up on my iPad but not on a PC running Chrome.
I worked all day to figure out how to do that....:D
(Just joking, photo was taken with my ipad - these things must know the orientation and fix. I was holding it upside down when I took the photo).

prashantbhurat

Joined Dec 12, 2011
I have worked on several high voltage supplies. The highest voltage was rated for 60KV. They all used conventional diodes stacked in series. Each diode had small capacitor and a resistor in parallel with it. I don't remember the typical values.
The attachment has real good information...thank u very much for the same:)..few doubts ive.:(
1.If the transformer used is single phase, does the deisgn of rectifier changes??
2.what is the criteria for selection of range of resistor to be connected in parallel to diode?
3.for capacitor the voltage range can be selcted by no. of capacitors n total voltage.but what shall be the capacitance of capacitor

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
The attachment has real good information...thank u very much for the same:)..few doubts ive.:(
1.If the transformer used is single phase, does the deisgn of rectifier changes??
2.what is the criteria for selection of range of resistor to be connected in parallel to diode?
3.for capacitor the voltage range can be selcted by no. of capacitors n total voltage.but what shall be the capacitance of capacitor
1. The design of the rectifier modules would not change. The circuit would.

2. It appears in the abstract that the resistor is between 1M and 500K. The diode specs are unknown. I suspect that the resistor is sized to draw about 10 times the leakage current of the diode.

3. The capacitor voltage should be at least twice that of the diode. The capacitance (I think) should be about ten times that of the junction capacitance of the diode.

Last edited: