rectifier application

richard johnson

Joined Jan 8, 2015
I have a set of plans for a plasma torch by joe eichholz. the plans recomend using a three phase bridge rectifier versus a single phase bridge four conductor. Theres no instructions or diagrams how to hook up the three phase
any one know how this would hook up .I have every part and piece and I'm stuck right up front.I have intensely perused this sight and it is way cool.Thank you any help would be so welcome

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Assuming you have access to a three phase source, you connect one phase to each terminal showing a sine wave symbol and DC comes pouring out of the two terminals showing (-) and (+).

If you don't have three phase, you will need some type of big rotating machine to convert single phase to three phase.

Also, you will need a good understanding of electrical safety practices, fuses, enclosures, circuit breakers and grounding so you don't hurt anyone.

richard johnson

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Can the transformer ground act as third leg I just got my transformer today it weighs 60 poundsI havent looked at it yet .That will probably answer a few questions thank you Bob

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You cannot use ground as a conductor, usually a simple full wave 3ph rectifier has three AC inputs and the two DC +- out.
I cannot see a reason for using a 3ph rect on 1ph, if you connect one of the conductors to two inputs you are just increasing the current capacity of that part of the bridge.
Max.

richard johnson

Joined Jan 8, 2015
Can the transformer ground act as third leg I just got my transformer today it weighs 60 poundsI havent looked at it yet .That will probably answer a few questions thank you Bob
Checked and my transformer is an upstep 110- 220 or 440 .with 110 input 2 lead and dual lead ouput 220. my bridge shows 1 in complete loop ground and two other terminals I would say positive .whats next

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If your Tfmr is two conductor secondary it is single phase, and using the usual 3ph rectifier full wave 6 diode rectifier bridge is no advantage.
What is 'complete ground loop'?
Max.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
single phase would require filtering for a plasma torch. a high current plasma torch would require lots of fitgering.the overlaping three phase in the rectifier makes for a very smooth dc output without a lot of filtering.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The 3ph bridge in the pic shows 6 terminals???
Normally there is 3 ac in, pick any two for the 1ph AC in, the output is the same, +- DC.
You should also be able to use a standard 4 terminal 1ph bridge, unless you already have the 3ph, if so name the part No.
Max.

richard johnson

Joined Jan 8, 2015
the only thing on the bridge is this century 3phase SQL60A 1200v power semiconductor electronic it has a diagram the three terminals and one positive and one negative it shows six diodes huge heat sinc