Recommended wire for Molex PicoBlade connectors?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Scalpel78, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Scalpel78

Thread Starter Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Hi,
    I'm getting started with the Molex PicoBlade connectors, and I'm trying to figure out which wire to buy.

The crimps are rated from 28 to 32AWG, so I bought a 30AWG wire from Farnell. The one I bought was a single stranded one, so it feels a bit too stiff, and I'm afraid they are going to break if I wiggle them too much.

I assume I need one with more strands to get a more flexible cable, but I'm not sure which one I should go for. Does anyone have any tips?

2. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Ordinary stranded wire will have 7 strands and be appropriate.

When working with such small wire, especially with hand tools, you need to be careful not to damage the wire when cutting, stripping and crimping and you need to be sure the insulation diameter of the wire fits the terminal as well as the conductor.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    yep.. regular pvc insulated stranded wire "hook-up wire".. (7/38 strand.. which is 7 strands of 38 AWG)

4. Scalpel78

Thread Starter Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Thank you!

I'll take a look at Farnells site for 7/38 stranded wire.

I've got a hand tool for removing the insulation. Do you know of a better (not hand tool) for stripping the wires?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I'm very good with a tiny pocket knife, but that doesn't mean it's better for you. The trick is, when you sharpen it, do not do the final polish. Leave a tiny bit of ragged edge to it. That way you know when you are cutting your thumb.

6. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    I would take a exacto knife and place the wire on piece of cardboard and and then apply small pressure on the wire with the knife to make the wire roll and I would kinda help it roll a bit with my hand.That is for single strand wires but could be applied on other types with some patience I guess.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What is the hand tool you have?
    Over the years I have accumulated many wiring hand tools, mainly Weidmüller, you pay a bit extra but it pays in the long run, if you are going to be doing any extensive connections in the future I would recommend getting the correct tool for the job.
    For the kind you have I use the Weidmüller Stripax tool, adjustable to the insulation type.
    Max.

8. Scalpel78

Thread Starter Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I've got the green PA-14 wire stripper.

The Weidmüller Stripax looks nice. I'll see if I find it at a reasonable price somewhere.

9. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    You could try thermal wire stripper.

10. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    How many wires do you intend to process? Is this a one time use? Is this for a production facility?
    There are many wire stripping machines out there.. Komax/Artos,etc.. but they aren't cheap and are intended for companies processing thousands of wires daily.. Other than that a hand tool is the way to go

Any "depth" settable hand tools (wire strippers) will work just fine..
    Then there are certain wire processing standards to follow (IPC,etc..)... and with this wire size/strand count if you cut 1 of the 7... its trash.

11. Scalpel78

Thread Starter Member

Aug 11, 2013
    This is purely hobby robotics, so I'd like to keep it within a reasonable price. I guess max $70 ish.

I'm fascinated with making the electronics as small as possible. I'm handsoldering and using hot air soldering to solder 64 pins ARM microcontrollers and 32 pins QFE motordrivers, so I'd also like to use small connectors like PicoBlade.

I've also looked into the 1.2mm pitch Hirose DF-57 connectors, do they are just too darn small to work with.

12. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
  13. RichardO

May 4, 2013
  14. Scalpel78

Thread Starter Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes, as I'm creating the order at Farnell now, I've also included some already crimped 15cm wires for the PicoBlade plugs. It'll be nice to see the difference between the professionally made crimps, and the one I do myself.