Recommended tools for smt repair

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by gloves10101, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gloves10101

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    What tools would you recommend me to get in order to fix common pcb problems such as replacing ICs, or in a smartphone for example, replacing the micro-usb port?
    I know I need heat gun, de-soldering gun, iron , but could you recommend me some reliable brands and if possible at lower price (not the mot expensive, but cheap and reliable), I saw for example a de-soldering gun for more than 200$, but is there a gun that can remove the tin at a lower price? (not the manually operated de-soldering pump)

Thanks

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I do not use any desoldering tools beyond some narrow fluxed copper braid; you place it over the solder blob and press down lightly with your iron and it wicks off excess solder.

If you get on EBay and search for "hot air solder station" (set the price to 50 bucks to drop lots of tools) you'll see some cheap combo units that have both an iron and hot air. I have one of these for SMD work. It is not a high quality unit that will last a lifetime, it will break sooner or later, but while it works is a good tool.

Had mine 4 years now for occasional use. I bought it after an associate got one, his is already dead. Do make sure you get the correct line voltage.

Next: tweezers. You want very good tweezers.

Some flux is nice too. And solder: very thin spooled, and perhaps a syringe of solder paste. Keep the paste in the freezer so it lasts longer.

gloves10101 likes this.
  3. gloves10101

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 18, 2013
    Thank you very much. I was actually thinking of those cheap combos, and now you confirmed :)

I have some questions about BGA too, I've seen videos of Infrared reworking stations, but what exactly is the job of the infrared? because I saw that there are also 2 wires connected to the chip too, it looks like the chip is being heated by these wires, but also with the infrared together, is that true? or these wires and infrared do different things?
    Maybe you can explain a little bit about how infrared rework station works?(I saw it has preheating surface, and the infrared itself also heats, so it's confusing)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013