recommended reading progressive circuits

atrumblood

Joined May 13, 2012
Hello all,

I am looking for some reading material that starts off explaining very simple circuits such as LowPass , HighPass filters as an example and how to combine them with other simple circuits to create complex circuits.

I find that while I understand the basics of circuit design, I feel like I am lost when it comes to understanding complex circuits.

I would like something that breaks circuits down into blocks and functions and explains each part and their connections to other parts in detail.

A few people have recommended "The Art of Electronics" but I feel like that is a bit above my level and need something that isn't quite so wordy. Something that focuses on application and less on theory.

Sorry if this may have been asked before.

I appreciate any suggestions.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I found Electronics Principles and Applications by Charles A. Schuler to be helpful. It has been criticized as "high schoolish" but I think it strikes a good balance between theory and practical circuits. After all, one can always delve deeper into subjects after gaining an understanding of the basics.

Last edited:

K7GUH

Joined Jan 28, 2011
I'd like to recommend the ARRL Handbook. It doesn't have to be the latest one. The topic of filters will be covered, but not in excruciating detail. It might be a good place to start.

atrumblood

Joined May 13, 2012
Hey guys thanks for the suggestions. I apologize for not responding sooner. The subscription emails ended up in junk mail.

"Electronic Principles" by Albert Malvino goes on the same line as Schuler's Electronics Principles and Applications, although i haven't read the latter, i found Malvino's book pretty easy to understand and its graphics really helped me a lot, i often use it as my "For dummies" reference.

Another option if you are looking for more details in equations and so on, but still at a reasonable level to understand without refering to advanced calculus is "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert Boylestad, Louis Nashelsky, on my opinion both (Boylestad or Malvino's) are good.

One thing more, stay away from Sedra/Smith's "Microelectronic Circuits", i really dont know what authors were thinking when they wrote that book, it uses tons of maths rethorics to explain everything that it drives you to the point where you get lost, dont get me wrong but although some college student's praise it for this approach, certainly its way off from being really pedagogical.

Last edited:

blowouter

Joined Sep 28, 2012
i recommend also" ELectroncic principles" Malvino i read it and it is very cool and easy to get it and also get into circuits and design
but i want to design digital circuits for my own any one know abook or a website