Recommendation for Function Generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bug13, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bug13

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi guys

I want to get a function generator, just looking at ebay, is this one any good?

If not, can you recommend me one for beginner, I will need one for leaning boost/buck converter, it's for electronics use.

I am hoping to spend about US$200, thanks
  2. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    I think for $37 you might well get $37 worth of usefulness from it. I doubt it would be calibrated well or have great stability or output amp etc.

If you don't have anything that type of hobby style signal gen would be a heck of a lot better than nothing. :)
    bug13 likes this.
  3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    This one I've used and isn't terribly bad. The voltage readout for peak to peak doesn't match what a scope shows, but for $130, it's good for generating up to 2Mhz sine/square/triangle waves.

I'd go for that before I'd buy one from eBay.

I'd go for a good oscilloscope before a function generator as well, you can get a Rigol 60Mhz for a decent price. You'll want more bandwidth if planning to work with microcontrollers, but enough to get started.

In shorter words, if electronics are a long term hobby, get a decent 100Mhz scope and at least the function generator I linked above, but preferably an Arbitrary waveform 25Mhz generator for about the same price as a scope.
    bug13 likes this.