recommend a tool to draw my circuit ....

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by arry, Jun 23, 2010.

1. arry

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Ok, I know you will say this question gets asked a lot, but in the other threads I could not find any good tool for drawing circuits/schematics.

The tool should be free, small in size, fast and easy, easy , easy.

Thanks.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Circuit Maker or LtSpice is what I use. (I picked up circuit maker after seeing SgtWookie use it so much)

They have a learning curve, but more for simulation than schematic capture.

You simply start placing the components out of the list ;)

3. Syniva

Jun 21, 2010
    My favorite tools are pen and paper.

They're not free, but they are small, fast and incredibly easy.

4. zxsa

Jun 11, 2010
    I also recommend LTspice. Added bonus is being able to also simulate your circuit once you've entered it.

It's maybe not the easiest CAD program available, but it does have nice features like exporting to Windows MetaFile or copying a bitmap image to the clipboard. It's printing function also works quite well once you understand how to control it.

5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I like ExpressPCB. Free, pretty intuitive, good library, easy to create new parts if you need, and clean looking schematics.

Ken

6. Vasanthkini

Jun 9, 2010
    OrCad PSice is what i use.The results are very much similar to the practical results.Very user friendly.Am not sure if its available online for free !

Thank you

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Most of the stuff recommended will either draw a PCB or simulate the circuit, which is good. If you just want to draw though, you can download a set of templates to be used with your favorite graphic program. I use M/S Paint, and I call the package PaintCAD.

Bill's Index

Introduction and PaintCAD

8. oidium45

Apr 24, 2010
    Diptrace http://www.diptrace.com/download.php (free edition) was recommended to me in a similar thread. It is lacking a few components but seems to be a all around good software so far.

9. arry

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    OK, thanks for your feedback. I will try some of the tools.

10. coldpenguin

Apr 18, 2010
    I used to say eagle, as it seemed to auto-route well. However, I recently downloaded diptrace, as I am planning on doing something which won't be included in either of the free variants.
    This seems to be much easier to use. I have even created my own devices, which I believe will work.
    They state linux is workable for diptrace, but it doesn't work on my version, and there seem to be a lot of people who cannot get it to work with linux (as it has to run under the Windows Is Not and Emulator [wine] program).