Recommend a micrcontroller for motor control?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by fastwalker, Feb 25, 2010.

1. fastwalker

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Hi All,

I have a DC motor control project coming up. I'm open to the brand of microcontroller to use. Can anyone suggest a uC which provides some type of motor control onboard in hardware?

Thanks,
    FW

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    A hard questions to answer. If this is school project you should use the uC that your school support. If this this is a hobby project you are more free to choose. Can you tell us more about what you plan to do?
    I guess you will end up with two alternatives. And that will be Microchip and Atmel. I am a Microchip person my self because I think the the Microchip tools are somewhat better. And the Pickit programmers are rock solid, and give a lot of value for the money. And I can easy get Microchip uCs. And availability is important for the hobbyist. But both Microchip and Atmel has both pro and cons. So I would say they are quite equal.

3. fastwalker

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Thanks for the response. The project is to move a DC motor for solar tracking of a small array. I'd like to have variable speed drive, implemented perhaps by hardware PWM on the chip.

I was thinking of either PIC or Atmel too, haven't researched them enough to sway my decision either way.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  5. steveb

Jul 3, 2008
    TI makes some with built in motor control hardware.

6. ViperRunner

Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  7. ViperRunner

Jan 30, 2010
    Maybe make a motor driver circuit like the ones of the links i gave you, and putting a sensor that stops the motor from turning when it catches the angle where the photosensor catched the higher temperature (meaning where the light is strongest)

it's a relativelly simple circuit, the work you will have more is maybe searching or making a software to control the motor.. or if you want to skip the control of the speed of the motor, you can give it a fixed slow speed and make it simply search for light untill ends one round, and when it ends a round without finding the minimum light you configured the photosensor to catch (meaning it's dark now) you put on the circuit a timer that says when it will search again, say for example after 10 hours, when it's morning and it will find light again..

i'm saying all this in theory, but i don't know how to put all of this in practice, so sorry for not being of more help!

8. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Many Microchip uC do have a PWM module. Some has even two. A PWM module is very often used in motor control