recommend a good soldering iron

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by lokeycmos, Apr 1, 2013.

1. lokeycmos

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    looking for some advice or a recommendation for a new soldering iron. I recently broke my 30 watt iron and looking to replace it with something a little better. im looking for a stand alone, not a station, because I put It in my back pack and take it to work with me. ive been looking on ebay and radio shack, but it seems like everyone is using steel tips. why do they even make steel tips? solder doesn't stick to steel. ive had bad luck trying to tin steel tips. what I was using before my iron broke was a thick piece of copper wire ground to a shiny tip that tinned very nicely. it will be for general purpose and the ocassional small stuff like soldering usb jacks. thanks!

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Look for something made by Weller. Thermostat controlled is a nice feature.

shortbus and #12 like this.
  3. @android

Dec 15, 2011
    In my experience any mediocre soldering iron works fine. I'm using one since last 4-5 years and not to forget withput TROUBLE! :D

4. RG23

Dec 6, 2010
  5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Hakko FX-601

6. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Seconded. I have several Weller TCP series 45W irons from my office. They are working on 48V DC so I bought a stepdown transformer for them. The tip is magnetic and a bit expensive but I think it's worth the price I paid.

Allen

7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The iron is just a heater... and the knock offs are pretty decent units.

The tought part is the tip: they burn out fast, very fast in most of the knock offs. Here the top contenders Weller and Hakko are recommended.

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I suggest Weller or Hakko temperature-controlled units. While they may be expensive at the start, they WILL NOT let you down for many, many years. I have an old Weller from about 20-30 years ago, and it's still running like a champ. It looks like junk, but it has lasted very well and continues to serve me. I highly recommend them.

Matt

9. bug13

Feb 13, 2012

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The tips burn out??? Try the new iron clad tips. I've been using them for 40 years with only one going bad on me.

Maybe ErnieM thought you meant soldering GUN. Yeah, those are crap, but a 35 watt is in the soldering IRON range.

11. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Oh yeah, that's another point--35 watts is MUCH too large for a lot of electronics applications. I have a 15W pencil-type iron that I sometimes use with normal soldering. Don't go too high or you might melt the pads off your PCB, damage the components, or you might not even be able to apply solder to the joint properly--the iron could pull it away. I would use 35 watts for soldering heat sink tabs and that sort of thing. For just soldering components, I highly recommend a 15-25W iron.

Of course this would all be taken care of if you chose to buy a Weller or Hakko temperature controlled iron ;)

Matt

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I do a lot of hand wired jobs with my 33W Weller, like guitar amplifiers and car wiring. I've learned to be very delicate with circuit boards.

13. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I guess the only thing I have left to say is that you might want to put some automotive anti- seize compound on the threads of the tip and endure the stink while it burns off the liquid part. Otherwise, the tip tends to be impossible to get off the heater after a few years. You basically try not to change tips because it's always a bit of a chore.