Recommend a digital storage scope

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have been out of the electronics game for probably 15 years but did an A level in electronics systems about 20 years ago and eventually ended up running the design and repair section of Orion Computers in Lancashire in my early 20's (Acorn premier dealer) where I was a component level service engineer on the Archimedes (ARM chips :)) and 8 bit BBC computers.

Anyway I have just got back into it with a project I am quite enjoying and have dug out all my old kit. What I am looking for now are a few bits of kit that I no longer have. One of these is a better oscilliscope. I suppose I could get along with my current one but I just want a better one :)

Anyway what I want is something like the one I used to use back then. I had a Fluke 100MHz digital scope which cost a couple of grand. I loved the way you could attach a probe to a point of a circuit and just press the magic button :) !!

Anyway I've looked on Ebay and I don't even recognise most of the makes that are listed now. I've seen Tektronics (which I recognise) and Hitachis (I have a VT212) but there are lots of other makes I haven't seen before.

So with a budget of maybe £600-800 what would people suggest. I am also after a new bench power supply with a budget of £100.

Last edited:

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I'd stick with a Tektronix if you can find a decent one in that price range.

I still use analog scopes, I just like them better. My mainstay is a Tektronix 2465. Although only rated for 300 or 400 ? MHz it will easily display waveforms u to around 1 GHz, it just wouldn't be in total calibration that far out.

A good source for used equipment is http://www.techrecovery.com

They don't list everything they have online, they may often have some older items or some that are missing a few knobs in their back room so it's best to call them and chat a bit. They will also have power supplies.

For instance I only paid 169 US$ for my 2465, only problem is a couple of the scale lights are out, it was still in perfect cal.

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
I have looked for makes I know but nothing appearing in my price range yet. I have seen lots of full on storage scopes in my price range but not from unknown makes like:

GW Instek GDS-1102A 100MHz Digital Storage Oscilloscope @ £623 ($1030) LINK

or

GW Instek GDS-1152A 150MHz Digital Storage Oscilloscope @£666 ($1100)

rogs

Joined Aug 28, 2009
I see you are here in the UK. I've used this scope from Rapid: http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Fa...age-oscilloscope/31075/kw/oscilloscope#techsp

for over 5 years, and have no complaints. Not a fancy name (it's actually Pintek) but a good solid CRT scope in my experience. Note it's only 20MHz. Plenty for me (as an audio engineer), don't know if you need the full 100MHz you mentioned in your first post?

Available on 14 day trial, so maybe worth a try?

I can also recommend this bench PSU from Rapid:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Electric...ch-PSUs/30V-2.5A-Regulated-power-supply/65049

Again, no 'designer' label, but a good reliable 2.5A linear variable regulated supply, in my experience.
Never been able to do any damage in the 5 years+ I've been using to the 2 of them I have - and I've done some pretty horrible things to them (by accident of course!) during that time!

Reasonably priced, slightly 'old fashioned' kit, if we're being honest!

Just a suggestion....

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Thanks,

I looked at the site and 20MHz is a little slow for my use. I need at least 40MHz+ so maybe a 60MHz model would be useful. I did find the UNI-T models on rapid that look quite good.

The UTD4102C looks really good and includes 2 x normal probes, Logic analyzer probe and current to voltage module plus it connects to the computer via USB and LAN etc etc

Price is at the top of my range ie £800 + VAT (but I can claim the VAT back)

I have just emailed the manufacturer to get a price from them. It is $900 in the US so should be more like £500-600 here!! Anyway if I can get it for $900+$100 postage I can save enough for my bench PSU or even get the faster model. The 4 input 200MHz model looks really nice but I can't justify it :(

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Well I bought it from ebay Germany and it cost me £577 inc postage. Arrived today and looks the business! Unfortunately the software is in Chinese as is the entire menu system and there is no manual..... I checked with him before I bought so should be no issues as they confirmed it was in English with English Manual......

Still the package looks great and includes a 16 connection logic analyser, 2 x current to voltage modules, DMM probes, scope probes etc etc

If anyone else has one of these can they tell me the key sequence to change languages :)

Jotto

Joined Apr 1, 2011
Ni hao, well I can tell you if you can write what it says, I can do either type of chinese that you have. Actually igoogle has a translator you can use thats if it allows you to cut and paste.

cowasaki

Joined Apr 3, 2011
Ni hao, well I can tell you if you can write what it says, I can do either type of chinese that you have. Actually igoogle has a translator you can use thats if it allows you to cut and paste.
That is very much appreciated but literally in the last few minutes I have found the manual on line and it is now in ENGLISH :)

Now just need them to send me the software and a hard copy of the manual. At least I can use the thing now.

What a seriously nice scope...... My Hitachi V212 20 MHz analogue scope can find a new home now :) Must find someone to swap it with....