Recommend a change in font

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by Unregistered, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Unregistered

Thread Starter Guest

Brad Paisley, brad paisley lyrics, brad paisley online lyrics, brad paisley i\x27m still a guy, brad paisley song, brad paisley new song, brad paisley fishing song, brad paisley music, brad paisley alcohol, brad paisley ticks, brad paisley whiskey lullaby, <a href="http://akonringtones.webs28.com/?">Brad Paisley ringtones</a> brad paisley, brad paisley lyrics, brad paisley songs, brad paisley online, brad paisley letter to me, brad paisley 5th gear, brad paisley i'm still a guy lyrics, brad paisley concerts, brad paisley tabs, brad paisley myspace, Brad Paisley ringtones

2. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Hi Timothy,

Tony is no longer involved directly in the project, although I am sure he still maintains an interest in its progress. Thanks for the comments regarding the font. Could I ask whether your issue with the font is with the printed (PDF) version, or the web version?

If it is the web version can we recommend that you turn off any anti-aliasing technologies, for example cleartype, which will make the font appear bolder. There may also be the option in the printed PDF versions to compile the source code yourself with a font that better suits your needs.

Dave

3. Unregistered

Thread Starter Guest

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your reply. As I'm using the book as my textbook and spending much time going through the lessons, I downloaded it and use the PDF version. I read it on my non-Internet computer using a 19-in monitor.

The Internet version uses a font like Ariel that (after 3 Ctrl +'s) is very dark and easy to read. The PDF version is using Times New Roman. Even after zooming in to 125% , the type is almost opaque and hard to focus on. At 150%, the type is more distinct but off the monitor.

I tried to find a way to use Acrobat 7.0 Pro to change the font, but failed ( I don't know how to use it). What would I need to do to extract the source code and recompile it with a different font?

Timothy

4. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    Timothy,

Please try this link, which uses newcent NewCenturySchoolbook font as default roman.

http://openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/Semi/SEMI.pdf

It looks a little darker than the default Roman font. You can compare this SEMI.pdf to whatever you now are looking at. None of the other volumes at ibiblio (openbookproject) have been converted.

I need your (and anyone else willing to assist us) feedback on the appearance of the newcent font. I am using a 1024x768 laptop for viewing.

PDF and Latex

We convert our source files which end in .sml to .latex, for example SEMI.latex . This gets converted to .dvi , then to .ps (postscript), then to .pdf . The Makefile (that is the name) is responsible for all this.

The command:
    make SEM.ps

builds the SEMI.pdf. Keep in mind that this is all within a Linux (unix like) operating system with LaTeX (tetext) installed. There may well be MS Windows based tools for doing this. However, I am not familiar with them. Unless you are a Linux user, you may not want to mess with the source files. This link has some information on how we build from source: http://openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/Devel/markup.html

If you want to change the fonts used in the PDf file, add this line near the top of hi.latex, which appears in the directories of the six individual volumes.

\usepackage{newcent}

This overides the default font(s)

Note that newcent font comes from the table mentioned in the link below.

For more information on possible fontpackages to try, see the light-brown colored table at:
    http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/fonts.html#postscript

The newcent font looks better (darker) to me. I only tried this one. However, there may be more readable fonts in the above table. My reading of the table is that charter was the roman font before the change to newcent. If anyone has any experience with fonts in that table please let us know.

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks for the information Dennis.

Dave

6. Unregistered

Thread Starter Guest

Yes, thanks for the information Dennis.

I'm embarassed to say that I haven't mastered enough of Linux to know what to do. I've been using Ubuntu for half a year, but haven't got beyond the GUI. I also regret to say that here, in China, the Open Book Project website is blocked. I can't try out the activities you've suggested. I will copy your instructions to a file and ask around to find someone who knows about this.

I hope that other forum members will weigh in on this. In the meantime, I'll continue with the current font, grateful for having such good lessons.

Thanks again to both of you for your time and consideration.

Timothy

7. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    Dave,

I am assuming that Timothy got the pdf from allaboutcircuits.com . Would it be practical to update just the SEMI.pdf from ibiblio. Its the only one with the new font.

D Crunkilton

Timothy,

Since you cannot get the source files at openbook project, it is not possible for you to build the PDfs from source. However, if you are curious, here is a link at allaboutcircuits, with more details:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_markup.html

D Crunkilton

I also hope for some other forum members to evaluate the SEMI.pdf at ibiblio http://openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/Semi/SEMI.pdf for readability as compared to the other PDFs. If it is an improvement, all PDFs will get changed to the new font.

D Crunkilton

8. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Having compared the old and new versions of the font, I concur with Timothy that the old font is pretty difficult to read on an LCD with anti-aliasing enabled (which in the Windows world is the default these days). CRT with anti-aliasing disabled makes it marginally better, but certainly not as good as the new font hosted at the Open Book Project.

I cannot comment on the differences between the versions when printed, perhaps someone could check this and tell us if there are any differences - this isn't clear from screen display on a Windows machine.

Given what I have said above, I would suggest that moving to the PDF copies of the E-book Volumes to the new font (even if only as an interim) is a worthwhile endeavour; particularly from the perspective of those that use the PDF versions of the E-book for off-line reading. I would also suggest that we make this a priority update (not that there is an urgency, of course).

If we can get all 6 volumes entered at ibiblio in the new font, then I will ask Rob to update AAC accordingly so that we are now using these versions.

Regards,

Dave

9. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
  10. Dcrunkilton

E-book Co-ordinator

Jul 31, 2004
    Thanks for looking at the new font. And thanks for the feedback. I have applied the darker font (newcent) to the PDF of all volumes at ibiblio.

Dennis Crunkilton

11. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Thanks Dennis, I'll ask Rob to update the AAC versions.

Dave

12. Unregistered

Thread Starter Guest

Hello Dave and Dennis,

I downloaded the new PDF files from ibiblio. They are a great improvement in readability over the old font.

I enjoyed reading the link, http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/l_markup.html. It was good to learn about markup languages and how they are used.

Thanks to both of you for your concern and effort. I'm sure others will be equally pleased with the new font.

Best regards,
    Timothy Kingman

13. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Glad we could help Timothy.

Dave