Rechargable or cord rotary tool

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I just picked up a rotary tool at Harbor Freight $27. It is the rechargeable version.

Some reasons I bought it was that it came with more tools than the corded ($20) version and has a better variable speed setting.

But the main reason I bought it was the picture showed it came with 2 battery packs. I figured I could always have one fully charged and that is what sold it.

I got the thing home opened it up and found there was only on battery pack, confirmed by the packing list and fact there was no other place to fit another battery in the case.

Should I just keep the rechargeable version or go with the corded version knowing it will work when I need it?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Do you intend to use it where you don't have line power available? Unless you are going to use it relatively frequently, I think you would be better off with a cord version. Harbor Freight is not noted for high quality tools, and their battery's shelf life is probably going to live up to that standard.

Just my experience...and opinion.

Ken

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I really like my cordless Dremels, the Li-Ion especially.

The cord hanging down is a bit cumbersome working in some areas, especially when using the drill press.

The number of times I've used it on automotive things, like wire wheel brushing battery terminals, ensure I won't bother with a corded one again now that the speed of the cordless is just as high.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
But, the OP isn't buying a "Dremel", their buying a "Harbor Freight". I'd make be more likely to go battery with a Dremel.

Ken

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Personally I'd go with wired. Batteries are a pain to deal with over time and cords aren't really that hard to deal with in most situations. thatoneguy has a good point where it's useful in tight spaces like automobiles to not have to deal with the cords, but if this is for general use I'd go with a corded tool. The corded version will generally have more power or features for the same price compared to battery simply because the battery and charging electronics add cost.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Another vote here for corded. I like cordless but the battery hassle just isn't worth it. I have a Dremel and I love it, I have also tried the accessories from HF and was totally underwhelmed with the quality. The stones are either so hard they won't grind anything, or so soft that they wear faster than the metal I'm trying to grind. The cutting burrs wouldn't cut into a bar of soap.

sceadwian

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Buy a cheap rotary tool if you want, but don't buy cheap bits, for stone's make sure you're getting quality grinding materials matched for your use and for cutting/drill bits don't settle for anything less than High Speed steel or carbide/TiN coated. It'll cost you twice as much for the bits and they'll last 5-10 times over their cheapy counterparts. I've bought cheap bits before, waste of money.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Personally I'd go with wired. Batteries are a pain to deal with over time and cords aren't really that hard to deal with in most situations. thatoneguy has a good point where it's useful in tight spaces like automobiles to not have to deal with the cords, but if this is for general use I'd go with a corded tool. The corded version will generally have more power or features for the same price compared to battery simply because the battery and charging electronics add cost.
Actually the cordless version has more features. :) Totally variable speed and a nifty LED light. The corded version has something like 4 set speeds.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
have the best of both worlds and set up an external battery pack and fill with rechargeable batteries. wire up with appropriate wires and grind your way to oblivion!