Receiver Antenna Model in Spice

jdirga

Joined Apr 15, 2009
I need to include a receiver antenna in my SPICE simulation. Should I model it using a current source or voltage source? Does this depend on the type of antenna (whether it's a dipole, loop, etc) that I use? Please help. Thx.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I need to include a receiver antenna in my SPICE simulation. Should I model it using a current source or voltage source? Does this depend on the type of antenna (whether it's a dipole, loop, etc) that I use? Please help. Thx.
An antenna is best modeled as a voltage source with a fixed value of internal resistance (generally the radiation resistance of the antenna)

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
An antenna is best modeled as a voltage source with a fixed value of internal resistance (generally the radiation resistance of the antenna)

Eric

I might add that if you want to model the antenna over a wide range of frequencies, it should be modeled as a series RLC network fed by a voltage source. The Q of an antenna can be almost anything, but for a typical simple dipole, it might have a Q of around 12, and a radiation resistance of between 50-75 ohms.

Eric

Last edited:

jdirga

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your reply. Could you give a reason why it should be modeled as a voltage source instead of a current source?

My original thought was if it were a loop antenna, it should be modeled as a voltage source because the signal is generated on the received antenna thru Faraday's law of induction, i.e. emf=change of flux. However if it were a dipole, it should be modeled as a current source because signal is generated due to lenz's law?(I'm not confident with this).

bestfpc

Joined Apr 16, 2009
When design RF Antenna, you need to take care of material specification. Different material, different dielectric value. Such as for normally FR4 material, some factory use 3.8~4.2, some 4.8.

Different value will affect the function. So when you design, you should base on a certain value and when going for prototype or samples, need to add a special notes about dielectric value so that things will be going as you designed. ^_^