Reason for resistor between chassis and transformer primary?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
A web search about old radio and amplifier designs as not given me an answer, except that this is not safe.

I was helping a friend troubleshoot a Sherwood S-5500 II audio amp. After we found the problem, a bad tube socket contact, I was disconnecting my scope ground from the chassis and got a good shock. I was between the chassis (left hand) and the scope's ground clip (right). Yeah, I "didn't" keep one hand in my pocket. :eek:

This has a two-wire non-polarized-power-plug and a transformer-isolated power supply. After a little investigation of the schematic (attached) and the chassis, there is a 100KΩ 1/2 W resistor from one side of the transformer's primary to chassis. In other versions the resistor is replaced with a capacitor, or two capacitors tied to both side if the power line and their common connected to chassis.

A DMM check between the chassis and line ground showed 5VAC with the power plug in one way and 115VAC with the plug reversed. Disconnection one end of the 100kΩ resistor brought the measured voltages down to 0.9VAC and 12VAC respectively.

I know in the olden days of the "All-American 5" tube radios with a "hot chassis" this was somehow supposed the make them safer. I guess as a current limiter.

OK, why the resistors or capacitors in an amplifier with a transformer isolated power supply?

Ken

Attachments

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
to reduce static. a high value resistor will not let enough current through to harm people, but will drain off a static charge. a lot of old radios and amps without 3 wire cords did this.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
to reduce static. a high value resistor will not let enough current through to harm people, but will drain off a static charge. a lot of old radios and amps without 3 wire cords did this.
To drain static from the chassis to the power line? I would not consider the shock I received as harmless. Yeah, only 1.5mA, and under the industrial limit of 5mA. But, had I been in a precarious position I could have injured myself. Ones that had a capacitor instead of the resistor would do nothing for static. Not going to argue your logic, as this was from the 60's.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is one blade of the two-wire AC-line-cord-plug wider than the other? If so, which blade is the resistor tied to?

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Is one blade of the two-wire AC-line-cord-plug wider than the other? If so, which blade is the resistor tied to?
No. It's a two wire "non-polarized" (blades identical) plug. Unless someone comes up with a good reason to leave it, the resistor will go and a two-wire polarized plug will be installed. His turntable (yeah, he's into vinyl), and tuner also have two-wire non-polarized plugs. The chassis's are all connected through the audio cable shields. There may be a "ground wire" from the turntable frame to the amp chassis too.

Ken

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My opinion is to give it a polarized cord and attach about 1 meg from neutral to chassis as I see in my 1977 Phillips 'scope schematic

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
its for static buildup. not safety, or hum. the ones with capacitors from line cord to ground will give you a shock too. back in those days, they expected everyone to be responsable for their own safety. a three wire grounded cord would be the best for safety, but being an audio amp, it may be non polarized for hum purposes, if it hums, turn over the plug.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you are going to stick with only a two-blade plug, the goal would be for the turntable, the tuner, the amp, all to wind up with the resistor to the neutral side of the plug...

Last edited:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
"a three wire grounded cord would be the best for safety, but being an audio amp, it may be non polarized for hum purposes, if it hums, turn over the plug."
So add a DPDT switch to reverse the power to the primary....or lash a Voodoo doll to the power cord with a grounding stake through its heart? :) Sorry.

Ken

Last edited: