Realistic Robotic Arm

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ashkar, May 30, 2011.

1. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I Just got this Idea to start a project on Realistic Human Hand i.e which can be controlled through Handicapped Humans,so i was just searching for stuff needed to built one,I need resource material for the project ,I would Like to get useful help from my online friends.
    ->main moto is to move that arm very fast to be able to mimic human actions.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Some One please reply.

3. DumboFixer

Feb 10, 2009
    As a first step, I suggest that Google be used to do your initial/basic research.

4. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I have sorted out some key components:-
    1)Linear motor .To move the arm.
    2)Micro controller avr devices
    3)but some thing is really eating me up that is the figure actuation motors or any sort of actuators since I want to trigger the figures individually bu using dedicated actuators.
    Thats all I could figure out

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
  6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You should be aware that a project of this nature will take a long time with a lot of experimentation. Placing components here and there and cranking out a bit of code is not likely to get good results at first. You will learn more than you can imagine as you work on this project.

7. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I know that Beenthere,Its A very very tough job but I love to do this,Hope you would help....
    @shortbus I was thinking to use a eeg based sensores which I would design my self how any kind of help on that part woul be great.

8. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    This is going to be a bit tedious if we only see generalities. What, in several cogent paragraphs, is your image of a realistic human hand?

While you are at that, what experience in the areas of electronics and robotics have you? What means appears to you to be best to cause the hand to move?

9. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I am not an expert in the field of electronics or robotics ,but have the capability to be able to work harder to achieve my destination.

10. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
  11. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    I have started to design the mechanics of the arm,I wanted to start to first of design the elbow shoulder parts first and then come on the finger part.So I am confused how to simulate the mechanics of my design,please supply a good software name for my purpose.

12. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    To me, the shoulder/elbow would be the easiest. I personally would stat with the thumb and forefinger. That will be the hardest, what you learn on doing that will make the rest easier.

Some things you need to consider are how will you feedback the force that the total arm/hand will produce? You need to come up with a way to control the amount of force that is being applied verses the force needed. In simple terms not to crush or break what you want to pick up.

The arm you linked to is a DARPA development, it was sponsored by the Government and they have very deep pockets. And more than one person probably worked on it. This is not meant to discourage you but to explain that your project won't be done in a few days or even years. :)

To me the way to attack this would be to get a book on human anatomy and study the bones and muscles in the arm and hand. This is what you are trying to mimic. Figure the forces needed by measuring your own hand and arm.

From there you transfer that knowledge to the mechanical part. figure out how to make the same movement with motors, gears and linkages. Figure how to make sensors to control the forces and movements.

Some soft ware that might help;
    http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/download/index.html

http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-inventor/trial/?ch=ON&src=OMSE&mktvar001=353618&mktvar002=353618&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=cad%20inventor&utm_content=Branded%20AutoCAD%20Exact&utm_campaign=Autodesk%20-%20Inventor%20-%20Branded

The main thing is to keep at it if you want to do this!

13. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    @shortbus That would really help me,I am searching net for the required human arm stuff
    thank you

14. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    It might be that fluid hydraulics would simulate the muscles better.

15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  16. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    @bertus that was quite a good amount of info,Thanks a lot
    @beenthere ok I would use fluid hydraulics muscles.

17. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    Started some drawings,Check this out,Sorry for bad diagram I just draw it in paint.[​IMG]

18. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    The field that you are looking into is called 'orthotics and prosthetics'. A Google search on that may be of some help to you. Here is a link to a book on the hand form one of the sites; http://www.oandplibrary.org/al/1955_02_022.asp
    And here is a link to their library of books that are on line; http://www.oandplibrary.org/

Another thing you might want to consider doing is, when you get to the point of making models of the working of the parts, is to do it at two or more times life size. As long as you keep every thing in scale, doing it bigger than life will help by: 1. making the joints easier to build and fabricate, and 2. make the working of the joints easier to see their interaction with each other. After getting things working in a larger size then you can scale them back down to life size.

Can I ask a personal question of you? How old are you? Best of luck in your project!

19. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011
    @Shortbus Thank u for that great Info,Yeah I was looking for prosthetic limbs,Frankly speaking I am some thing into to design a human robotic suite (Exo-skeleton) Which would help people to regaining their strength in heavy load areas and as well as for handicapped persons,I know this is a very massive project to carry on,But this is my dream project ,so can't leave it.And for you other question I am 20 yrs old.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  20. Ashkar

Thread Starter Member

Feb 7, 2011