Real Lazer guns in just 2 years. Yippie! Han Solo would be proud.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
This is not new news. They were shooting planes down with these lasers at least 4 years ago (video). And I know they were doing it earlier than that as well, heard about it when I joined the navy in '04 - there was a video of the laser mounted on a 747. I can't find that video.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember the story though, they were talking about dropping SCUDs on Sadams army heads as they launched.

I'm not too fond of the pain ray though (another directed energy weapon, smaller wavelength than microwaves I believe), too many ways to abuse it.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
The thing that cooks you from the inside?

From a security point of view they are great. Near impossible to resist (unlike tear gas), easily controllable (unlike gases and sprays) and are much safer for the crowd.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No, the pain gun is for real. Leaves no marks, no real damage except psychological. Causes pain comparable to being in the middle of flames (actually it feels like you are on fire). They had it in big form (top of a Humvee) during the Iraq war, now they have portable guns. It is being used in some American prisons connected to a TV camera and operated remotely. The CIA is gonna love it.

It was developed and perfected by Raytheon.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I suppose it boils down (hahaha) to wether you'd be happier with microwaves being flung at you, or bits of lead, or chemicals.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The pain ray is supposed to burn 0.01mm of skin off. When my friend was in the rangers he also said they had a sound gun that would litterally make you run. I didn't like the sound of that either. I know they have shot planes down with lazers and used them for years but thats usually with a building attached to the lazer. I think the break thru is they actually have it down to size.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
How about a legitimate dialogue between a protester and his government?
No need to fire a weapon during a peaceful protest ... shouting at the government.

I would draw the line at people throwing projectiles at me or trying to damage the building I am to protect. Charging me with the intent to attack me would be detrimental to their health as well. There's the line ... don't cross it ... if they do, countermeasures will be taken.

There are places where "deadly force" is authorized. The protestors at those places knew where the line was ... and did not cross it.

When protestors think it's ok to do bodily damage and or damage to public structures, they can be held accountable. Whether or not deadly force, or in the more humane measures talked about with the "pain" gun, can be up for discussion.

Once the technology is available to the local authorities, they will me more apt to use the pain gun. That will change the tone of the protestors as some will use that countermeasure alot sooner than deadly force.

I won't be armed with a 36 inch riot baton and a 50 lb portable like I was in the mid 70s, if I were to assume a defensive posture against protestors. Shout all you want at the government, don't attack me personally.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You know, once a technology is available, people will use it ... whether good or bad ... they will use it.

We will all see the good and not think about the bad ... till it rears it's ugly head.

Blofeld

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Are laser weapons things that an electrical engineer could work on?
Sure: The energy storage, the solid-state laser itself, target tracking (if you are more interested in software), the mechanism that controls the direction in which the laser fires... Generally speaking, the more a technology advances from pure research to implementing operational systems, the more the focus shifts from the physicists to the engineers.

MvGulik

Joined Nov 3, 2011
Dialogue only possible between parties that are willing to listen.
And that generally only applies when the other options are (way) more expensive.
(Man still having a problem shedding his evolutionary heritage.)

... Waiting for a personal EMP gun. ...

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This is not new news. They were shooting planes down with these lasers at least 4 years ago (video). And I know they were doing it earlier than that as well, heard about it when I joined the navy in '04 - there was a video of the laser mounted on a 747. I can't find that video.
When I went to work for Hughes Aircraft Co. in 1980, one of the projects they offered to me to work on was the Airborne Laser Laboratory; a KW class laser in a KC135 aircraft. The concept of using lasers as a missile defense has been around for a long time: http://www.airforce-magazine.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/2010/April 2010/0410laser.aspx
Scroll down to the bottom and read the inset for a brief history.