Reading printer ink chips

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
I have a Kodak printer which uses No 30 ink. There is no information about resetting these cartridges and i was wondering if any one could suggest a circuit i could build and plug into my 1010 port to read the information off it and maybe flash it with the information of a full cartridge. Its a simple two pin chip where the right pin is marked as positive. The markings on the chip are

6j5860
++K03++
1021A1
873AA H

Thank you for your time.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Are you sure this cartridge has a chip? There was a myth going around about my HP cartridge that referred to a nonexistent chip. Turned out the cartridge has a binary S/N (serial number) that is read by the printer itself (all those extra pads on the pad field). The printer records the last 3 S/Ns used in it before it falls into the bit bucket. When it sees a S/N it hasn't seen before it assumes a full cartridge.

I keep a handful of empties to reset the printer, but with mine other than the nag it isn't a problem.

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
Just multimetered it their is no voltage coming from it (even in the mv setting)
its only 5x5 mm and 1mm thick

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I am stumped at the moment.. I have a guru I can speak with Monday morning... Hopefully a more knowledgable member will have some info regarding reseting.

It may be possible that it is a cap or battery, and it is discharged when the printer says the ink is kaput.

That way, the printer only has to check for a voltage.. no voltage, no ink.

This is a guess...and likely a bad one...

We will see.. Hold tight.

In the meantime, what is the printer model #. A kodak what?

That may help us shed more light on this.

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
I remembered watching a video on YouTube a while back about one wire technologies. He was saying that they was single write memory that could be personalized for every board produced. He said they need 5v to read and 9v pulse to write. So i just decided to put 9v though it to see if it messed up the information. It did the printer now says unrecognized cartridge installed. so its definitely some kind of memory.

Its a Kodak esp c110the Advent aw10 is exactly the same printer
Thank you all for you time so far

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
Two more things that color cartridge has started working again and on the printers test page it has a serial number for both the black and color inks. That chip is the only electrical connector between the cartridge and the printer so the serial numbers must be stored their

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When ou look at the page I gave you, there is a picture with a block-diagram:

The chip may contain several fuctions that can be checked over the 1-wire connection.

Bertus

Ctenom

Joined Nov 1, 2010
is there any circuits which i could build for use with my serial port? i have been looking but cant find anything or if not do you think maxims 1 wire to usb programmer work? Thank you once again

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Several years ago, somebody explained in his site, how he read and what he found (Epson chips).

Explanation was consistent but never heard or read about it again.

Randel1

Joined Dec 13, 2011
Rubinscube:
I have been looking for information on the Kodak 30 ink chip also but have come up with nothing so far. If the printer indeed stores the sn of the cartridge then it might be easier to reset the printer memory than screw around with the chip. What do you think?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Worth a shot, unless erasing the S/N flash doesn't also erase the flash memory required for operation.

Then there's the possible issue of the flash memory being in a BGA mount IC, making working with it extremely difficult, if you can even identify which IC the flash is.

Ink Jet printers are sold as a "loss leader" at $20-$30, so the companies have an extremely vested interest in having a few hundred dollars worth new ink cartridges bought from them for each printer in order to pay for the full cost of the printer. This means they have been going to pretty extensive lengths to prevent non-branded ink.